Eating Egg Storage

Kakapothechicken

In the Brooder
May 7, 2022
I hope this is the right place to put this, I couldn’t find anywhere that it really fitted.

How on earth do people store and keep track of the eggs?
It’s the very beginning (barely) of the laying season in the UK and not all of them are laying yet but that is still 5-6 eggs per day.
The eggs are stored in a cool corner of the kitchen on terracotta egg trays. I put them in on one side and work across. The problem is I have to then shuffle them across every day! Then when there are too many for the trays I have to go through a tedious process of taking them off and stacking them on top while still keeping track of their ages.

I am considering marking them with a pencil just to say the date of collection but I’m not sure it will make much difference to the stacking problem It feels a bit like very delicate egg Jenga some days!:lol:

How do other people manage this?
I know there are plenty of people with a lot more chickens so there must be a solution.

Our eggs for hatching go in a carton in the basement. The eggs for eating go to the countertop in a carton until it's full, then to the fridge. The date is written on the end in pencil for all of them.

Maybe something like this would work for you? It holds 3 dozen.

I loved your reference to "egg Jenga."

My eggs are stored, unrefrigerated on the counter. I buy plastic (yeah, I know, not environmentally as good as your terra cottas. Where did you get those?) egg cartons, meant for refrigerator storage, fill one and rotate those as I fill them, stacking the newest ones on top, and leaving one carton (the eggs I get to eat, not sell) off to one side.

Back
Top Bottom