Education Chickens?

Megber13

In the Brooder
May 8, 2022
I have my first 4 hen flock of chickens that turned 20 weeks last week. Two cinnamon queens, one greyish something of same size, and a buff Orpington, who is a good 3 times the size of the other three. They just started laying eggs right around their 20 week birthday. I currently put them outside in a daytime predator proof run, and return them to their crappily made prefab coop that I keep in the garage, for obvious reasons.
I was asked if I could bring them in for a sort of farm themed week at a preschool, but I have never traveled with them, and do not want to bring all of them. I would prefer to bring only one, Large Marge is not super fond of being held and she is a giant, the queens flip when they arent together, and the last is calm and sweet and small, she would be a great candidate. Would she be ok without her sisters? Or, would it be best to take two and leave two? Is a car ride very stressful? I do not have to volunteer my ladies but I would like to if I know it isnt going to cause a problem for them.
Thanks for any info!

Years a go I took a few bantam hens to my nieces kindergarten show and tell. I put a couple of them in a crate, and they did fine. Pick out a calmer more manageable bird. Your sweet and small one sounds perfect. I wouldn't worry about her being by herself for a short amount of time.

I do such events fairly routinely. Generally I take three or more birds. I am entise them using foods like mealworms. Make certain birds a little bit hungry before you depart for the event. I also work with birds before taking them making sure they’re calm. Do a practice run in a strange environment with the birds. In most instances they will associate with you more strongly and they would otherwise.

Last edited:
You're braver than I . I'm not sure I would try to take even my nicest hen out on a field trip. But if you think she can handle it, by all means go for it! Everyone should be educated about chickens. I love talking about my girls with anyone who will listen. LOL! :)

Back
Top Bottom