EE pullet - ADR and now gut sounds

hrhta812

Songster
10 Years
Jul 27, 2009
Lebanon, IN
I have an EE pullet who is just a little over 5 mos. old and just started laying at New Year's. Today is her 5th day of being sick but I can't figure out what's wrong. She started with just being hanging back from the rest a bit but would get up and eat, scratch, etc., even go outside when I opened the pen door [it's been down into single digits here lately]. She probably wasn't laying for a few days before I realized anything was wrong, but I can't be sure. She was just ADR - "ain't doin' right,' as they say.

Three days ago she was more lethargic and just perching with her feathers puffed out. I held her and felt her crop area, then did the same with a couple of the others, but couldn't feel anything different. It got so cold that I decided to bring her inside two nights ago, so I could see if anything could be done for her.

She stands most of the time, with her wings slightly drooping and her back looks kind of hunched, with the feathers around her back end poofed up. I don't see dishcharge or dried poop or anything in the vent area, although I can't get a really good look because she moves if I try to part the feathers.

I realized she wasn't pooping after having her inside overnight. That first night, it didn't seem like she ate or drank at all. I tried scrambled eggs, canned cat food, then apple bits, but no luck. She picked a bit at some plain yogurt, and some cracker pieces, but hasn't really eaten anything much. I tried getting some olive oil in her but can't get more than a few drops at a time.

Her water has vitamins and electrolytes and she did seem to drink more yesterday than the evening before. Last night, I gave her a warm bath with some Epsom salts mixed in; I tried to keep her in the soak for close to 10 min. While she was in the bath, I felt her underside thoroughly and could not feel any hard areas and she didn't react to any particular area when I palpated her.

Today, there seems to be a small amount of dark excrement in the shavings, but not much, and she's acting the same, lethargic, not interested in eating, etc.

I've been gone most of the day, and now I have spent some time with her and I realize I am hearing gut sounds coming from her, toward her rear end. It's like her stomach is gurgling - does anybody have any idea what that could mean?

She's much the same today - I've tried Googling several different phrases with chicken/gurgling stomach/gut sounds, etc. but I'm not finding anything.

Please, has anyone else had a chicken with a grumbly tummy, and if so, what was the issue and outcome?

I can hardly believe she's still alive, having eaten so little for several days now. I made a warm mash last night with her layer crumbles, and added some vitamin/electrolyte liquic & a little olive oil. She picked at it for a few minutes and didn't eat any real quantity.

I haven't experienced anything like what you are describing - I had an EE who was eggbound and sort of acted like what you describe but no stomach rumblings and the warm baths eventually helped. I also had one with sour crop that didn't want to eat or drink, but she would sort of "throw up" when I picked her up. You might include a picture and maybe someone can help. I would keep her isolated and warm and try to get water and a little yogurt into her even if you have to do it with an eyedropper.

Good luck - its very frustrating when they are ill and can't tell you what hurts.

Thank you! Yes, it is frustrating, definitely. I have her in a dog crate in our bathroom, which non-chicken people think is pretty hilarious, but hey, why not? :) I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and hope for the best.

How is your girl today? I've also had a little luck with mixing some mashed up boiled egg yolk with a little milk or yogurt. They usually don't eat much when they are feeling bad, but I figure even a few bites help. Is she pooing at all?

I was just hopping on here with an update...I happened to be present for her elimination a few minutes ago, and it was pure liquid, very dark in color, brown with maybe a dark green tinge. I started seeing evidence of some kind of excrement the day prior, but there was only wet/stained shavings to see, no solids, so now this explains what I'm seeing. Frequency is not an issue, from what I can tell, at least not yet...not sure if this means she's getting better or worse??? Some excrement is better than none, right? She had none for at least 24 hours when I first brought her inside.

She hasn't really increased her eating, although last night I dipped her beak in yogurt quite a few times and made her take some in. She's got water with the power vitamin/electrolyte additive, and seems to be drinking daily [how much is normal?]. Today, out of curiosity, I offered her some regular layer pellets, and she may have picked at them when I left the room, but didn't eat while I was there. I've also given her some cottage cheese, bits of fresh cabbage, yogurt, and apple bits over the past several hours and she's not show interest in eating while I'm there, but it did look like she picked at the cottage cheese and apple pieces a little.

Should I try meal worms? I don't mind going out and getting some if it would help her. I tried scrambled eggs the other day and she didn't want them, but I can try that again today. She seems like maybe her feathers are a little less puffed up today than yesterday, but she still seems tired. She makes little chook noises at me when I'm in there and I try to make them back so we can have a conversation. LOL I'm blessed with the ability to make what other people consider a pretty good range of convincing chicken noises, but who knows what it sounds like to her!
big_smile.png

Sounds like you are doing well. I think I would skip the cabbage since it seems it would be tougher to digest if she is having any kind of crop/digestion problems. I have read that ACV (apple cider vinegar) like Braggs in the water can be helpful. The pellets moistened with water sounds good. I also read apple sauce was good but mine would never touch it so I did the finely chopped apple which was better accepted. I also found that it seemed like what they might take a few bites of one day was of know interest to them the next. I think the interaction is important so keep it up. I always kept a little cage cup with some regular chicken food available as well. Hoping she feels better soon.

Update - She seems to be better now! She started finally having formed stool yesterday, and the first time, there was a visible string of hay sticking it out it, so that may have been what was causing the problem. Today she was even perkier, and wanting out of her cage. Fingers crossed!!! I transitioned her back to the coop this evening [had her on the cold mud porch for a while first to get used to the temps], and she was doing great when I left and came back in.
D.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom