EE pullet with recurring yellow scab(?) in corner of beak

topochico225

Enthusiasm Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2020
Deep South
Hey y’all,

I made a thread about this pullet and her sister scraping and cracking their beaks, but thought this deserved its own thread.

Miss Solange here has had a recurring yellow scab in the corner of her mouth since we got her as a week old chick about 3 months ago. I’ve just removed it with tweezers, and the skin looks normal under it. It is not food buildup, but a scab of some sort. Is this something to worry about? My main theories were Canker or Wet Pox but there’s no odor or other spots and none of the 4 other pullets she’s housed with have it.
815DBE20-7660-476C-9B24-118FF2620D4B.jpeg
73F389E8-20F1-4798-8679-E3D76D103D68.jpeg
8B820097-1BC7-4E53-AEA7-16055FCC349D.jpeg
E2CE1E31-4E82-45F4-95BF-7AF746F25F07.jpeg

Sorry for the blurry pics, she was struggling and as we all know chickens are just kind of difficult to photograph. It’s in the right corner of her beak, facing the camera. Nothing on the other side.

TIA!

Is this pullet same breed as the other pullets you have,???
I was also thinking,,,,,,canker,,,,, but I never dealt with canker, and thought it was usually deeper inside throat. :idunno from reading post about it.
If you can easily keep removing it with tweezers every so often, than maybe it will disappear away eventually.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:highfive:

Is this pullet same breed as the other pullets you have,???
I was also thinking,,,,,,canker,,,,, but I never dealt with canker, and thought it was usually deeper inside throat. :idunno from reading post about it.
If you can easily keep removing it with tweezers every so often, than maybe it will disappear away eventually.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:highfive:
She’s one of two EE pullets I have, the rest are d’Uccle pullets. I guess I’ll just keep removing it, it must just be friction 🤷‍♀️

Thank you!!!!

Did you by any chance put food in her beak because she cracked it bad? The exact same thing happened to my hen. It was because we syringed liquid food in her beak. It was like a callous, right? Eventually hers fell off, and she’s fine now.

Did you by any chance put food in her beak because she cracked it bad? The exact same thing happened to my hen. It was because we syringed liquid food in her beak. It was like a callous, right? Eventually hers fell off, and she’s fine now.
No, this has been happening before the beak. She’s not the one with the severely scraped beak, but she has a smaller scrape on top by the front of her comb.

Back
Top Bottom