Egg bound hen with very first egg

Jo Plescow

In the Brooder
Apr 5, 2023
Phoenix, AZ
Hi all, Phoenix, Az is having a record breaking heat wave with over 20 days straight of 110+ degrees. My five chicken just reached 18 weeks between June and July. I have one so far, a barred rock, laying daily and doing well. Unfortunately about a week ago my silver laced Wyandotte passed while in her nest box trying to lay her first egg. I can only assume she was egg bound because I did find an egg in her and I can assume the heat has not been easy on them although I do have plenty of cooling systems in the coop and run (a/c unit, 3 fans, misters, free ranging under the trees daily). Is it common for them to be egg bound on their very first egg?! I know it can happen but I never expected it for their first egg? And now I’m nervous because they’re about 24 weeks today and my black star has still not laid any and my two silkies who are about 20 weeks haven’t yet either but I feel like I have to keep a close eye on them so I don’t lose more. I have cameras in the coop and in the run so I know it’s been the barred rocks eggs every time but I’m just worried I could be doing something wrong and I don’t want to lose another if it can be avoided by making any changes? Please help!

So, it is definitely not common to be egg bound with your first egg. How did she look before she died? When they become egg bound they are basically dying of septic shock since they are unable to get waste out, and mine have always been visibly ill before they got close to dying. It is possible that the heat exacerbated things, though.

Do you know where the egg was inside of her? It is possible she could have died from another condition and just happened to be in the nest box. How is the ventilation in your coop, btw?

You have every reason to believe that your other hens will be alright. If you ever suspect egg binding, you can give them a couple of Calcium citrate with Vit. D3 tablets. That will help them with the contractions they need to get the egg out.

Back
Top Bottom