Egg Bound with soft eggs..cause??

cldavis1019

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2023
Would heat cause soft eggs/egg bound all at once? Two of my hens were egg bound and passed a soft egg within an hour of each other. I noticed the first one was isolating and penguin walking, so I gave her some scrambled eggs and she ate a little. Then within 10 mins she passed it in the middle of the yard. About a half hour later I was putting them in their coop for the night and noticed another was isolating and her vent was pulsating. I tried to do the same for her but she wouldn’t eat. So I just made her slowly walk around the yard and she plopped one out too. The first girl is back to acting completely normal. The other just passed hers so it’s too soon to say yet. They both just started laying within the last 1.5 weeks. I just find it odd that they both did it back to back. They eat high quality food and have access to oyster shells at all times.

Attachments

• IMG_0642.jpeg
    IMG_0642.jpeg
    842 KB · Views: 123
It may just be a new layer glitch if they have only been laying for 1 1/2 weeks.

What are you feeding - high quality feed doesn't tell us much. What type of treats and how much?

Heat can affect chickens as well, so do make sure they have plenty of shade and fresh cool water.

It may just be a new layer glitch if they have only been laying for 1 1/2 weeks.

What are you feeding - high quality feed doesn't tell us much. What type of treats and how much?

Heat can affect chickens as well, so do make sure they have plenty of shade and fresh cool water.
They get grubbly layer feed..not sure if it’s worth the cost now because there were 3 more soft eggs in their coop this morning but no one is acting sick or egg bound. My kids like to feed them about a half of a Dixie cup of meal worms a day and they occasionally get blueberries or watermelon.

She also laid this misshapen egg at around 11:30 this morning and the soft egg was at around 8:30 last night (the one in the pic). The other girl passed more soft eggs this morning.

Attachments

• IMG_0648.jpeg
    IMG_0648.jpeg
    306.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0647.jpeg
    IMG_0647.jpeg
    262.7 KB · Views: 14
They get grubbly layer feed..not sure if it’s worth the cost now because there were 3 more soft eggs in their coop this morning but no one is acting sick or egg bound. My kids like to feed them about a half of a Dixie cup of meal worms a day and they occasionally get blueberries or watermelon.
Is the feed crumbles or the pellets with loose grains?
If loose grains, then consider going with crumbles or if not possible, soak the pellets with loose grains overnight so it's more of a uniform type feed.
Often when birds get loose grains, they pick out the things they like and leave the rest which could cause some nutritional issues.

You provide oyster shell free choice? If you don't, then I would. Just put it in a separate container inside the coop/run, they will take what they want.

Is the feed crumbles or the pellets with loose grains?
If loose grains, then consider going with crumbles or if not possible, soak the pellets with loose grains overnight so it's more of a uniform type feed.
Often when birds get loose grains, they pick out the things they like and leave the rest which could cause some nutritional issues.

You provide oyster shell free choice? If you don't, then I would. Just put it in a separate container inside the coop/run, they will take what they want.
I started paying attention and they definitely sort through their feed. I always just filled it when it was empty and didn’t pay attention but some of them throw the pellets out to look for the good stuff so I’m soaking their feed tonight and when it’s gone I’m switching to crumbles. Jerks haha

I started paying attention and they definitely sort through their feed. I always just filled it when it was empty and didn’t pay attention but some of them throw the pellets out to look for the good stuff so I’m soaking their feed tonight and when it’s gone I’m switching to crumbles. Jerks haha
LOL Soaking the feed overnight should help.

I feed mine pellets, but every once in a while, there may be a piece of corn or whatever it's made of in the mix - they spy that immediately. I have an older hen that likes to "rummage" through the pellets looking for tasty bits of something - yeah, she's a bit of jerk too😅

Back
Top Bottom