Egg bound?

bluer78

Songster
Dec 16, 2022
Central Florida, East Coast
So, one of my laying hens was in the nest box on Saturday... I was bringing something into the run, and accidentally banged it on one of the bars as I entered.. This scared her out of the nest and she has not returned to the nest,I also have not seen any eggs laying around my yard any where else.. She seems to be foraging and drinking and acting normal for the most part.. I have noticed she almost seems like she's nesting in the sand while the others dust bathe around her... she still dust bathes as well, but sometimes she just sitting there with her eyes closed.. I'm worried she is egg bound or will become so..?

Is she walking like a penguin? Of she was egg bound since Saturday, she'd likely be dead by now. Can you feel an egg if you feel you belly?
I have not seen her doing a penguin walk.. She is quite flighty and difficult to handle.. I will try to feel tonight.. but this is my first season with chickens, not exactly sure what I would feel.. I tried one night to feel the pelvic bones on another and didn't feel much... also don't want to end up pushing too hard and breaking an egg in her or anything...

I have not seen her doing a penguin walk.. She is quite flighty and difficult to handle.. I will try to feel tonight.. but this is my first season with chickens, not exactly sure what I would feel.. I tried one night to feel the pelvic bones on another and didn't feel much... also don't want to end up pushing too hard and breaking an egg in her or anything...
She's not egg bound, I wouldn't worry about it.

Back
Top Bottom