Egg carton hatching?

EJn

Chirping
Dec 23, 2020
Brazoria Texas
So I see a few post about hatching in cartons...
From what I was getting is that if you use a "turner'' that the eggs are on their sides then hatch them on their sides...if using a "rocker" style then place them in cut down egg carton to hatch in.
This is supposed to be because of the location of the air cell?
Opinions needed...
Wife and I are 2 days till lockdown and doing everything we can for a good hatch rate this time.

yes there seems to be varying opinion on which position is best but as long as it isn't the wrong way, ie small end up then I don't think it matters that much.
My preference is on its side. My only logic to this is when the chick internally pips then it has a better chance at drying out but this is just my opinion for placing my eggs sideways. It might not even be valid. If the egg is upright and the chick pips and there is excess fluid it hasn't absorbed it will keep "swimming" around in it.

So I see a few post about hatching in cartons...
From what I was getting is that if you use a "turner'' that the eggs are on their sides then hatch them on their sides...if using a "rocker" style then place them in cut down egg carton to hatch in.
This is supposed to be because of the location of the air cell?
Opinions needed...
Wife and I are 2 days till lockdown and doing everything we can for a good hatch rate this time.
It seems the air cell position and size are about the most important thing. I think i favor side hatching, for ease of movement while, zipping but braced with ropes wound thru to minimize rolling as lively hatchlings play soccer in there.

I lay all my eggs down for hatching and have great results.

Have you been candling throughout?
They should be starting to draw down now or by tomorrow.

You mention better hatch rate....
Did you calibrated a thermometer or three and salt test a humidity gauge?

I lay all my eggs down for hatching and have great results.

Have you been candling throughout?
They should be starting to draw down now or by tomorrow.

You mention better hatch rate....
Did you calibrated a thermometer or three and salt test a humidity gauge?
Candling every other day..yes they are so full now about the only thing you can see is the air cell.
I have two thermometers and both were salt tested..the run about 3% lower than reading when salt tested.

Our first hatch we didn't do bad, but we had late quitters and only one that didn't make it after hatch.

What have you been running your humidity at?

if your air cells are not detached and your humidity has not been crazy high you should have no problem hatching them while they're laying down.

Back
Top Bottom