egg collecting question

nstilwater

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 16, 2011
yesterday i collected two eggs for hatching. i brought them in the house and set them in abowl on the kitchen counter and went back out to feed more animals. when i came back in my two year old had woken up from his nap. two hour later i went to put the eggs in the bathroom (thats the best place in my house to store them) and they were gone. apparently my two year old had found them ad decided they needed to be in the incubator ( I have six in there due to hatch next saturday) the eggs had warmed up but i took them out and put them in bathroom anyways, they were only in there for an hour or two at the most. is it ok to keep them till next week and them put them in incubator, the were fresh laid when i collected them

Quote:
the problem with putting them back in is the other ones will hatch next saturday......how would i keep turning while others hatch

The eggs should be fine to set later. No longer than 1 or 2 hours, that will not hurt anything. In the past, I may have a hen trying to set, sometimes she stays on the eggs all day before I can gather them. I have set eggs from hens that have sat on the eggs all day (probably 6 or 8 hours), I have saved the eggs and set at a later date, I have never had any problems with the hatch rate. I don't think it will hurt a thing.
smile.png

Quote:
the problem with putting them back in is the other ones will hatch next saturday......how would i keep turning while others hatch

The new chicks will knock them around enough that you won't have to worry about turning.
lol.png

The eggs will be fine, just keep storing them in your bathroom. As long as they werent in there for more than 2 hours. Eggs are very dense so it would take a long time for the eggs internal temperature to heat up to the incubators temp. Good luck with your hatch
thumbsup.gif

I agree with Cowgirl and Kico - as long as it was only a couple of hours at most the internal temp of the egg would most likely not have been hot enough to kick things off by the time you took them out of the bator.

Best thing to do is to mark those two eggs so you can tell them apart from any others you're going to set them with next week. Then when they either do or don't develop, you'll have an answer to your question!

Back
Top Bottom