Egg colour genetics broody hen

Redhead_Gardener

Chirping
May 21, 2021
My hen has gone broody and I've decided to let her hatch a few young ones.
A good friend of mine has fertile hatching eggs of mixed genetics. I am curious for any females hatched what the egg colour potentials would be. I'd appreciate any knowledge anyone can share on the subject.
The rooster is an EE
The potential hens I will be getting eggs from are:
Silkie
Barred rock
Buff pro
EE
Polish

Thank you in advance.

I am curious for any females hatched what the egg colour potentials would be.
The rooster is an EE
He's a bit of an unknown. He might have the genes for blue eggs, green eggs, or brown eggs. That means several possibilities for each hen.

The potential hens I will be getting eggs from are:

Silkie
I would expect light green eggs or light brown eggs from daughters. (Assuming the Silkie has the genes for cream or light brown eggs. If she lays a different color, that would change my prediction.)

Barred rock
Green eggs or brown eggs.

I'm not familar with this breed, unless it's a typo for "Buff Orpington."
If it lays brown eggs, daughters will probably lay either green or brown eggs.

If she lays blue eggs, chance of blue eggs or green eggs from daughters, with a slim chance of white or brown eggs.

If she lays green eggs, probably green eggs from daughters, with a small chance of brown eggs.

If she lays brown eggs, chance of green or brown eggs from daughters.

Assuming white eggs, daughters will probably lay light green or light brown, with a chance of being lighter (blue or white) or darker (green or brown).

He's a bit of an unknown. He might have the genes for blue eggs, green eggs, or brown eggs. That means several possibilities for each hen.

I would expect light green eggs or light brown eggs from daughters. (Assuming the Silkie has the genes for cream or light brown eggs. If she lays a different color, that would change my prediction.)

Green eggs or brown eggs.

I'm not familar with this breed, unless it's a typo for "Buff Orpington."
If it lays brown eggs, daughters will probably lay either green or brown eggs.

If she lays blue eggs, chance of blue eggs or green eggs from daughters, with a slim chance of white or brown eggs.

If she lays green eggs, probably green eggs from daughters, with a small chance of brown eggs.

If she lays brown eggs, chance of green or brown eggs from daughters.

Assuming white eggs, daughters will probably lay light green or light brown, with a chance of being lighter (blue or white) or darker (green or brown).
typo for "Buff Orpington
Yes.. autocorrect got me.
Thank you so much for your thoughts. It's rather rhe same as what I'm thinking... But in my day having chickens we didn't have but brown or white eggs... the first time I heard of an ameracauna 20 years ago I was in love .. things have changed so much in that time ... And I haven't the experience with these egg colour genetics.
Thank you so much for your insights!

in my day having chickens we didn't have but brown or white eggs... the first time I heard of an ameracauna 20 years ago I was in love .. things have changed so much in that time ... And I haven't the experience with these egg colour genetics.
The basic genetics for the egg colors:
Brown & white work the same way they ever did-- lots of genes that affect how much brown, but in general you can cross shades and get something in the middle. The brown color is on the outside of the shell.

Blue is caused by a dominant gene, and colors the whole shell blue (all the way through, not just the outside).
Green is a "blue" egg with a layer of brown on the outside.

So it's a matter of figuring out whether a chick could have a gene for "blue," and then allowing for how much brown is likely to be present.

Back
Top Bottom