Egg devlopment under broody chicken...

Frozen Feathers

Songster
12 Years
May 4, 2007
Maine
I candled the eggs under my Silkie today because I expected more chicks to hatch after the 1st 2 chickies. Well, the chicks inside the eggs all look like they are moving about, but they don't all look at the same age of development. Is that normal? She will sit there and wait for the other chicks to hatch, right?

Thanks in advance! This is my first time hatching chicks at all, so I appreciate any information I can get.
smile.png

if after the first chick hatches the mom will wait 48 more hours and then will leave the eggs. maby one egg was not under her intierly so it was cooler so it take longer for it to hatch

I am having a similiar issue. I was not expecting any of my broody's eggs to hatch till the 4th and 2 hatched out last night!! I was totally surprised. I do have some more broody's sitting on some that are a few days behind my Black Australorp. So, I guess if need be, I can just put the unhatched eggs under them.

I took her chick away and put it in my brooder w/ the new chicks. I don't really have a safe place for her to raise her baby chicks. Currently, she's in my dog crate and honestly I don't want her to stay in my kitchen forever.

Taking her chick away, will that encourage her to sit longer? She's not acting like she's going anywhere soon...

Back
Top Bottom