Egg eating and how to get them to STOP

M.J

Songster
12 Years
Apr 15, 2007
Maryland
:mad:My one flock of hen's are layers a mix of breeds and they have gotten into the bad habbit of eating eggs. i have tryed to break them out of this with fake eggs. yet the that did not work they just threw the fake eggs out of the nest and ate the real eggs. Is my Quest to stop this habbit from my hens hopeless and if not how can i stop it.

M.J. , darken the nest boxes by hanging some cloth or material in front of the entrance with a slit for them to enter and I know thy will. It will not allow the egg eaters to see the eggs.

Increase the protein in the diet, because that will satisfy them and they won't need the eggs, which are full of protein.

Dry cat food and black oil sunflower seeds are good treats with 30% protein. Collect eggs often to avoid hens breaking them in the nest, because any chicken will eat a broken egg.

Close watch on the flock is priceless.

bigzio

I had a hen that was doing this. I gave her boiled eggs...and LOTS of them constantly till she was satisfied with all the protein. She hasnt eaten one since.

I had tried with another hen the cayenne powder, chili powder full eggs, tabasco full, putting in ceramic eggs instead, nothing worked. She would lay an egg and eat it as soon as it came out. She could tell which was the real egg by the heat off of it I think.

Back
Top Bottom