Egg Fertilizing question

TXChixRock

Songster
7 Years
Aug 2, 2016
Spring Branch, TX
At what point in the egg laying cycle is an egg fertilized? For instance, if I have a hen I want to breed that lays every second or third day, does she need to be mounted the day before, the day of, or ”X” number of hours before the egg is laid, etc? I know how to check to see if an egg is fertilized once laid, but I may want to ”lock up” my perspective parents together to make sure I get the fertilized eggs I want at the right time. Any help is appreciated!

At what point in the egg laying cycle is an egg fertilized? For instance, if I have a hen I want to breed that lays every second or third day, does she need to be mounted the day before, the day of, or ”X” number of hours before the egg is laid, etc? I know how to check to see if an egg is fertilized once laid, but I may want to ”lock up” my perspective parents together to make sure I get the fertilized eggs I want at the right time. Any help is appreciated!
Do you have more than one possible sire?
If she's been exposed to a male you don't want in the mix, you'll have to keep him away from her for 3-4 weeks to make sure the right male is in the mix.

Do you have more than one possible sire?
If she's been exposed to a male you don't want in the mix, you'll have to keep him away from her for 3-4 weeks to make sure the right male is in the mix.
Just one sire. The one hen particular I’d like to have him mate with is the one I’ll need to pen him with as she tends to avoid his advances”, unlike the others. Looks like I won’t have to pen them together for long, and that will make things much easier.

It takes an egg about 25 hours to go through the hens internal egg making factory. That egg can only be fertilized during the first few minutes of that journey. That means if a successful mating takes place on a Sunday, Sunday's egg cannot be fertile from that mating. Monday's egg might or might not be, depending in timing. Tuesday's egg would be.

When a mating takes place the hen stores the sperm in a special container near where the egg starts its journey. That sperm can stay viable anywhere from 9 days to over three weeks. While it is possible that the sperm can still be viable at three weeks it is more likely it is not still viable. You might be better off counting on two weeks instead of three. I use two weeks and no more.

It takes an egg about 25 hours to go through the hens internal egg making factory. That egg can only be fertilized during the first few minutes of that journey. That means if a successful mating takes place on a Sunday, Sunday's egg cannot be fertile from that mating. Monday's egg might or might not be, depending in timing. Tuesday's egg would be.

When a mating takes place the hen stores the sperm in a special container near where the egg starts its journey. That sperm can stay viable anywhere from 9 days to over three weeks. While it is possible that the sperm can still be viable at three weeks it is more likely it is not still viable. You might be better off counting on two weeks instead of three. I use two weeks and no more.
This is so helpful. Very good explanation and really helps my understanding of the entire process. I feel sure I have the knowledge now to get the results I was hoping to achieve. Thank you to everyone who added to this thread!

Back
Top Bottom