Egg pecking help

fishnmama

Songster
11 Years
Oct 7, 2012
Loomis
I have a chicken maybe 2 pecking a hole in their eggs. They are not eating the eggs. I put mustard in the eggs and found one of my girls enjoying the egg. I have moved one of the girls I thought was doing the pecking into the garage in a cage and would still go out and find an egg pecked. I now have all my cages set up in the garage to try and try to figure out who is doing the pecking. I go out frequently to collect eggs and still haven’t caught the naughty girl. Once I figure out who is doing it, what do I do with her? How do you break a chicken from pecking the eggs? I have wooden eggs in the boxes. I’ve filled the eggs with mustard. Now what. I now have 2 chickens in the garage to try and figure out the culprit. I only have 5 girls.

Thanks for your help. Debbie J

Pics of pecked holes would help here.
Are the shells good and hard?
Is it just one peck?
Sometimes eggs can get dented/cracked when they fall from the bird and hot a hard part of nest or get moved around by the birds getting settled.
A fragile shell can be pierced by a toenail.

Pics of pecked holes would help here.
Are the shells good and hard?
Is it just one peck?
Sometimes eggs can get dented/cracked when they fall from the bird and hot a hard part of nest or get moved around by the birds getting settled.
A fragile shell can be pierced by a toenail.
I will try and get a picture of the next egg. Yes the shells are hard. I may need to take out one of the wooden eggs so there is only one In The nest box. I have a good layer of pine shavings in the box.

I will try and get a picture of the next egg. Yes the shells are hard. I may need to take out one of the wooden eggs so there is only one In The nest box. I have a good layer of pine shavings in the box.
Here is a photo of another egg pecked today 😖

Attachments

• IMG_7214.jpeg
    IMG_7214.jpeg
    650.8 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom