egg question

Mar 22, 2022
I had chicks last spring with my silkies. Last year I did not know how much I didn't know and my hen knew more. This year I started learning and I am a nervous wreck. I haven't been able to candle the eggs. Today I saw somethin. On the first egg I could see dark mass in shell and before I could even think about it my light went dead. The eggs were put under hen March 29th. They were from ebay and shipped March 25th. They should be hatching anytime now. So without flashlight I decided to pick tiny hole in large end. This worked for first two eggs. The next egg popped and a crack ran through shell. I think that egg is bad, but I put it back under hen. So how do people handle the anxiety of hatching eggs?
I need a drink, or pill...
Help?

I had chicks last spring with my silkies. Last year I did not know how much I didn't know and my hen knew more. This year I started learning and I am a nervous wreck. I haven't been able to candle the eggs. Today I saw somethin. On the first egg I could see dark mass in shell and before I could even think about it my light went dead. The eggs were put under hen March 29th. They were from ebay and shipped March 25th. They should be hatching anytime now. So without flashlight I decided to pick tiny hole in large end. This worked for first two eggs. The next egg popped and a crack ran through shell. I think that egg is bad, but I put it back under hen. So how do people handle the anxiety of hatching eggs?
I need a drink, or pill...
Help?
I’m confused are these chicken or ducks eggs ?
If chicken they should have hatched a few days ago. If duck they have days to go
That being said why did you intervene with making holes ? Safety holes are only needed if it’s been more then 24 hours from internal pip

Thank you. I thought it was taking too long, but I didn't know. They are silkie chicken eggs. I am totally in over my head. I'm going to go over and talk to my neighbor. She had chickens before and may know.

I used flashlight on phone. Most of the eggs are liquid. I assume this is bad. Two of the eggs had a dark mass on one end. I left three under her and I am going to call around and see if anyone has silkie chicks as I would like my hen to have her chicks. Thanks for tips.

I used flashlight on phone. Most of the eggs are liquid. I assume this is bad. Two of the eggs had a dark mass on one end. I left three under her and I am going to call around and see if anyone has silkie chicks as I would like my hen to have her chicks. Thanks for tips.
At this stage there should be full eggs with no liquid.
Shipped eggs can be tough as well it depends how long they were laid before you got them. They say up to 14 days but I find I have best results incubating 1 week or less.

Back
Top Bottom