Egg Tasting Different Out Of Nowhere

Awade

Hatching
Sep 15, 2021
Hey yall!

I have a couple laying hens that I have had for over a year, multiple breeds laying brown and blue eggs.

For some reason, some of their eggs are starting to taste different. They taste more like medicine and are becoming lighter in color (in the yolk).

I haven't changed anything in their diet or living environment, and they all seem happy and healthy.

Does anyone have a possible reason for this?

I really do not have specific idea why the egg taste changed. :idunno If the yolks are starting to turn pale, then it seems like the feed is about as good as the corporate chicken farms serve. Maybe the feed is somewhat older, and not as fresh as before. Older feed is still good,,,,, but does loose nutritional value.
What feed are you using now??? Maybe it was somewhat past due when you purchased it. Feed (most) does have dates on bags when it was produced.

Try to feed some hot peppers to your chickens,,,, like these, (pictured below) or others that you may have laying around. Chickens do not react to Capsaicin like humans, and other mammals do. Meaning, they do not get a burning sensation in their mouth. Many peeps feed peppers to their chickens during winter to help with maintaining decent egg production. Peppers do contain vitamins and minerals.
The peppers are supposed to make the yolks darker color also.
image_2021-09-16_012740.png

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome

Hey yall!

I have a couple laying hens that I have had for over a year, multiple breeds laying brown and blue eggs.

For some reason, some of their eggs are starting to taste different. They taste more like medicine and are becoming lighter in color (in the yolk).

I haven't changed anything in their diet or living environment, and they all seem happy and healthy.

Does anyone have a possible reason for this?
Did you start a new bag of feed when this happened?
What all and how exactly are you feeding?

Could be they are at the end of the laying season and are ramping down production as the days grow increasing shorter. If they are 14-18 months old, they will molt this fall/winter(assuming you live in the northern hemisphere).
You can get some funky eggs around that time.

Oh, and.... Welcome to BYC! @Awade
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1631793183939.png

I really do not have specific idea why the egg taste changed. :idunno If the yolks are starting to turn pale, then it seems like the feed is about as good as the corporate chicken farms serve. Maybe the feed is somewhat older, and not as fresh as before. Older feed is still good,,,,, but does loose nutritional value.
What feed are you using now??? Maybe it was somewhat past due when you purchased it. Feed (most) does have dates on bags when it was produced.

Try to feed some hot peppers to your chickens,,,, like these, (pictured below) or others that you may have laying around. Chickens do not react to Capsaicin like humans, and other mammals do. Meaning, they do not get a burning sensation in their mouth. Many peeps feed peppers to their chickens during winter to help with maintaining decent egg production. Peppers do contain vitamins and minerals.
The peppers are supposed to make the yolks darker color also.
View attachment 2834977

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome
I never knew about peppers, good info

Back
Top Bottom