Eggbound

Sydney65

Crowing
Aug 2, 2019
Indiana
What I was looking forward to sharing:
I know my experiences come off as crazy guinea lady at times, but sometimes they truly are amazing creatures.
I let everyone free today while I cleaned and restocked. I cld hear them calling out through the day (the guinea version of Marco Pollo) & wander by occasionally.
I could hear Bella wandering & calling, so when I finished up, I went looking for her. I clapped and she came running, but wldnt let me corral her. Suddenly PJ showed up. He didn't approach her, he just started walking slowly back to our yard glancing over at her, and she followed. He walked all the way to the kennel,and she went in. Right then Rosie bawled from the field and he high-tailed it back to her. I scooped Bella up and put her in the run.
What happened later:
I went out to call for the rest of the crew. PJ & Rosie came at once and went in the coop. I didn't see any fighting today. Other than Bella, everyone paired up and seemed to go off on their own. But PJ returned with an inflamed eye.
Nugget & Mouse came a few minutes later, but didn't go inside. Instead they settled outside of the run. Everyone else had gone in the coop to roost, so I closed the pop door and left the run open while I went in for dinner.
After dinner I went out, Mouse was in the run, laying down. I knew something was wrong as soon as I picked her up bc she didn't fight me. Turned her around, saw her vent was contracting, so set her down to go gather what I needed. It didnt take that long, but when I got back, she was lifeless. I went ahead and extracted the egg,but quite a bit of blood gushed out behind it. I've not found a thread where a bird hemorrhaged from being egg bound?
I read the common causes - they have water tanks in and out of the run. They have food at will during the day. They have oyster shell at will, plus I give them fresh greens aside from what they forage. She partook in all of this. I keep their coop clean. She wasn't fat, old or lazy. She wasn't pale, & she hadn't showed lethargy until she came back to coop. I'd seen them through out the day wandering around.
This is like a rerun from 2 yrs ago - 2 birds in 24°. I'm on paranoid alert tonight, running out to check on everyone. Bella was still stand-offish earlier, but last time I went out she & Nugget were on one roost side by side and the jumbos on the other.
In healthcare, there's a superstition about things coming in 3's (pretty accurate, btw). Himself found a dead bunny today, so I'm holding out hope that's the "3".

What I was looking forward to sharing:
I know my experiences come off as crazy guinea lady at times, but sometimes they truly are amazing creatures.
I let everyone free today while I cleaned and restocked. I cld hear them calling out through the day (the guinea version of Marco Pollo) & wander by occasionally.
I could hear Bella wandering & calling, so when I finished up, I went looking for her. I clapped and she came running, but wldnt let me corral her. Suddenly PJ showed up. He didn't approach her, he just started walking slowly back to our yard glancing over at her, and she followed. He walked all the way to the kennel,and she went in. Right then Rosie bawled from the field and he high-tailed it back to her. I scooped Bella up and put her in the run.
What happened later:
I went out to call for the rest of the crew. PJ & Rosie came at once and went in the coop. I didn't see any fighting today. Other than Bella, everyone paired up and seemed to go off on their own. But PJ returned with an inflamed eye.
Nugget & Mouse came a few minutes later, but didn't go inside. Instead they settled outside of the run. Everyone else had gone in the coop to roost, so I closed the pop door and left the run open while I went in for dinner.
After dinner I went out, Mouse was in the run, laying down. I knew something was wrong as soon as I picked her up bc she didn't fight me. Turned her around, saw her vent was contracting, so set her down to go gather what I needed. It didnt take that long, but when I got back, she was lifeless. I went ahead and extracted the egg,but quite a bit of blood gushed out behind it. I've not found a thread where a bird hemorrhaged from being egg bound?
I read the common causes - they have water tanks in and out of the run. They have food at will during the day. They have oyster shell at will, plus I give them fresh greens aside from what they forage. She partook in all of this. I keep their coop clean. She wasn't fat, old or lazy. She wasn't pale, & she hadn't showed lethargy until she came back to coop. I'd seen them through out the day wandering around.
This is like a rerun from 2 yrs ago - 2 birds in 24°. I'm on paranoid alert tonight, running out to check on everyone. Bella was still stand-offish earlier, but last time I went out she & Nugget were on one roost side by side and the jumbos on the other.
In healthcare, there's a superstition about things coming in 3's (pretty accurate, btw). Himself found a dead bunny today, so I'm holding out hope that's the "3".
Oh geez, Sydney, your luck this week!!!! I am so shocked and sorry that you lost another of your pampered, closely watched and beloved birds!:hit I’m literally praying that your remaining birds are healthy and harmonious!:fl

I’ve treated several chicken hens for egg binding, and bleeding was mild and only happened when I had to physically coax the egg out. Was the egg normal sized, not a double or triple yolker? If not, then I would guess that Mouse had something weird, like a follicle that ruptured and hemorrhaged. Do you have oyster shell available free choice? Praying that next week gets much better for you! I am so very sorry.

Oh geez, Sydney, your luck this week!!!! I am so shocked and sorry that you lost another of your pampered, closely watched and beloved birds!:hit I’m literally praying that your remaining birds are healthy and harmonious!:fl

I’ve treated several chicken hens for egg binding, and bleeding was mild and only happened when I had to physically coax the egg out. Was the egg normal sized, not a double or triple yolker? If not, then I would guess that Mouse had something weird, like a follicle that ruptured and hemorrhaged. Do you have oyster shell available free choice? Praying that next week gets much better for you! I am so very sorry.
I do have oyster shell out, plus give them fresh dark leafy greens. She was already gone, so I did have to remove the egg on my own. I didn't open the egg. Will do so tomorrow. It wasn't any bigger than normal,but did have a lot of blood on it. Her eggs always had spots of blood on it, but all I'd seen indicated that was common for some birds.
When I checked her before going to get supplies, every contraction of the vent expelled a white eggwhite consistancy. There was not yellow in it, no foul odor, nor were her feathers matted with it. It just squirted out on my glove. I thought maybe she had a broken egg but there weren't any shell fragments or yolk.

I do have oyster shell out, plus give them fresh dark leafy greens. She was already gone, so I did have to remove the egg on my own. I didn't open the egg. Will do so tomorrow. It wasn't any bigger than normal,but did have a lot of blood on it. Her eggs always had spots of blood on it, but all I'd seen indicated that was common for some birds.
When I checked her before going to get supplies, every contraction of the vent expelled a white eggwhite consistancy. There was not yellow in it, no foul odor, nor were her feathers matted with it. It just squirted out on my glove. I thought maybe she had a broken egg but there weren't any shell fragments or yolk.
Hmmm. I’m not sure spots of blood are so normal… When chickens first start laying, the first few eggs may have some streaks of blood from the tissues stretching for the first few times. However, that clears up within the first few eggs. I’ve rarely seen any blood on our guineas’ eggs, like maybe one pullet egg ever. I don’t know what disease process Mouse had going on, but the “gush of blood” sounds like something hemorrhaged in her reproductive tract. There really was nothing more you could have done for her in that time frame. Hugs to you Sydney - I imagine you are really upset about the loss of two of your precious birds! :hugs

Back
Top Bottom