Eggs/ layer feed

free range by day

Songster
5 Years
Jan 2, 2019
Hi! Several of my hens are laying eggs with extra calcium deposits, bumps, etc. everything was read is saying too much calcium. What do I do ? They are free range but have commercial layer feed at all times. How do I regulate calcium if it’s in the feed ? I’m trying to sell the eggs but I only can get 4 out of 7-8 “good smooth sellable” eggs a day. The rest are rough/dry , bumps and pimples on the shells.

Ideas, thoughts?

Hi! Several of my hens are laying eggs with extra calcium deposits, bumps, etc. everything was read is saying too much calcium. What do I do ? They are free range but have commercial layer feed at all times. How do I regulate calcium if it’s in the feed ? I’m trying to sell the eggs but I only can get 4 out of 7-8 “good smooth sellable” eggs a day. The rest are rough/dry , bumps and pimples on the shells.

Ideas, thoughts?

You can change their feed to grower or all-flock instead of layer, and offer them calcium (oyster shell) free choice separately. You could mix the layer with the grower while you finish the bags of layer, which would reduce the total calcium being ingested.

That is if calcium is the issue. I'm not sure what other factors can contribute to this, although age can impact egg shell quality. My older hens can lay eggs that are bumpy with extra calcium, and so do my pullets when they first start.

Back
Top Bottom