Eggs that break

Dstorm

In the Brooder
Apr 25, 2022
So we have one chicken that we thought was ours that appeared a day after a fox arrack on our girls. We have two of this chicken so I didn't realize when she appeared it wasn't one of ours! She integrated well, and yes we checked with neighbors and either someone lied or it came from who knows where. Anyway, she has been with us for several months now and all of her eggs are basically thin and either break when we pick them up or when another girl goes in to lay. She eats the same as everyone else, is not bullied, etc. I am going to get oyster shell tomorrow even though our omega feed doesn't require them to have it. Any other ideas why this is happening?

You should always have free choice oyster she'll, even if you have layer feed. You can try liquid calcium for her if you want or give her a calcium and vitamin D pill (like for humans) just right into her mouth. I'd start with the oyster shell though

Calcium citrate + D3 is the best type. I gave my hen 200mg daily for 3 weeks and it seemed to help her.

Sometimes the issue is with their shell gland, but hopefully the supplement will do the trick.

Back
Top Bottom