Eggs were getting wet day 19

RaeElizabeth

Songster
May 3, 2020
I added too much water to the bottom of my incubators today in an attempt to get the humidity up to 75% and then realized the eggs were probably getting wet on the bottom. Panicked, took them out and a lot of them had small wet spots where they were in contact with the bottom. I wiped them dry. Emptied half the water. Set them back.

The chicks head should be near the air sac now right? So please tell me I didn’t just drown half the chicks? 😭 I literally had a dream that I drowned them two days ago.

I’m less worried that it’s day 19 and I just opened the incubator/moved them than I am the water touching the egg shells. It was about an hour or two before my intuition finally made me get back in there and realized what was happening.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I literally had a duck egg sitting on a wet wash cloth to try to get my humidity up once. I did have to assist the hatch and it ended up being a very sticky duckling that I had to wash off and put under the light to get warmed up but it made it just fine. I pray that yours will all be alright. Good Luck.

If it wasn’t for long and the eggs were not submerged they should fine.

When the chicks hatch will they be near the water if your eggs were in the water and getting wet? That could be dangerous for the chicks and they could drown if so.
What kind of incubator do you have?

If it wasn’t for long and the eggs were not submerged they should fine.

When the chicks hatch will they be near the water if your eggs were in the water and getting wet? That could be dangerous for the chicks and they could drown if so.
What kind of incubator do you have?
It’s a really basic unit with a bottom piece that sits above the water. I’ve used them before but it was midsummer and much more ambient humidity than now. So I added too much and though it looked like it wasn’t reaching through the slats on the bottom initially, it was. Just barely. The chicks can’t get to it once they hatch and it’s no longer as high reaching through. I just can’t get it to 75%. I have a humidifier running right outside the units, and it’s hanging above 60 right now so I’m just going to leave it alone and hope for the best.

Attachments

• 94843C25-27EA-46DB-B5C8-0019A6448116.jpeg
    94843C25-27EA-46DB-B5C8-0019A6448116.jpeg
    141.7 KB · Views: 4
I see now. I usually shoot for 65% for hatching which I find acceptable & suits me. Good luck with your hatch :fl
Hatching has already started!! So far so good, a day early. Although I never know whether or not to count the day they go in as day one or the next day. This time it looks like that day counted as one since even full sized eggs are starting to pip. But I just had a silkie zoom right out of the shell in like 30 mins 😂

Attachments

• 1161167D-BE53-46F0-91DD-14D3C0F909BC.jpeg
    1161167D-BE53-46F0-91DD-14D3C0F909BC.jpeg
    269.9 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom