Eggs, Winter, and Egg Stands

JennieLamb

Chirping
Aug 28, 2023
Greetings,
So we put up an egg stand 2 weeks ago (finally got it done) and it's been pretty warm for winter in PA zone 7b and barely dips below freezing...until now.
This week is suppsoed to be really really cold. We have 2 more months of winter to go and was hoping to keep my nice new upcycled egg shack running? Maybe? Theres a stand up cooler I keep the unwashed eggs in, in the egg stand, but its going to be between 14 and 24 degrees at night for the next 10 days. Will the cooler stay warmer than outside and prevent my eggs from freezing? Or should I be bringing them in at night or when the temp gets below 30 degrees?
(Someone had an old firewood holder and the bottom was rotted on marketplace for free. Guys picked it up, ripped off front n bottom, put front on top for a roof eith a piece of metal and out a few cross beams around the middle, so theres sides blocking the wind around the cooler)
If they arent cracked does that mean they didn't freeze? What happens if they partially or fully freeze and dont crack? Are they still safe to eat? Should I just give up for now until Spring 1st(March 20th)? I need advice, info and help!

Or should I be bringing them in at night or when the temp gets below 30 degrees?
Best easiest option. :highfive: The cold weather will pass soon, and then get back to your usual way.
Eggs do not spoil when slightly frozen,,,, but if they crack,,, then that is a no-go.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

Best easiest option. :highfive: The cold weather will pass soon, and then get back to your usual way.
Eggs do not spoil when slightly frozen,,,, but if they crack,,, then that is a no-go.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome
Thanks so much! I will bring them in at night and put a rechargeable handwarmer thinger in there during the day... Cuz i just purchased them on amazon. 😅

If they arent cracked does that mean they didn't freeze? What happens if they partially or fully freeze and dont crack? Are they still safe to eat?
Eggs can freeze partway without cracking.

Eggs that have been frozen are still safe to eat, but the texture might be off (more common with the yolk than the white.) So they might be unappetizing because of the texture change.

Eggs that crack can leak, and bacteria can get in through the crack, so you wouldn't want to be selling them. But it appears you already know that.

Thanks so much! I will bring them in at night and put a rechargeable handwarmer thinger in there during the day... Cuz i just purchased them on amazon. 😅
I suggest you put a thermometer in there with the eggs, and check it on occasion. You are trying to avoid frozen eggs, but you don't want to accidentally cook them instead! You don't want them too warm either, even if they stop short of actually cooking. So a thermometer can help tell you whether the temperature is staying within a good range, not too cold or too warm.

Back
Top Bottom