Elderly rooster loose stools

Mrsviddy

Chirping
Nov 16, 2019
Northeast Ohio
I have a beautiful Svart Honda with blue ears. He is 6 years old. Last week he did not look good. A lot of dried poop on his backside. I brought him in and bathed him. Kept him overnight in a cage in our warm greenhouse. put water and gave him some applesauce and cottage cheese. The next morning he was more himself. He began to crow when I carried him out. Over the weekend he began to decline again. Today he is really sluggish, very easy to pick up. His backside is all covered again in a yellow/white creamy looking poop. He reacts when I touch the base of his tail when I pet him as if it is uncomfortable.
Right now he is in the greenhouse in a cage with water and food (scrambled eggs and applesauce). I also brought one of his smaller hens who is not in the best condition with him. (They have been right beside each other for the last few days).
I hesitate to take him to vet, he is an older boy, but if there is something I could do for him here I would be grateful for any suggestions. He has been the sweetest nicest rooster and was always good to his flock. Uploaded a picture of my handsome boy in his prime
Thank you

Attachments

• 3BB21284-7BDD-434E-B111-8D7626A0E628.jpeg
    3BB21284-7BDD-434E-B111-8D7626A0E628.jpeg
    434.5 KB · Views: 10
He’s a beautiful boy! You don’t say where you live, but my first thought is try some probiotics. There some specifically for chickens that you add to water. Only feed, nothing else to eat, and water with the probiotics plus some plain water in a separate dish, and see if it clears up after a few days.

Handsome fella.

Do you have photos of what he looks like now along with his poop?

You mention he's uncomfortable when you touch the base of his tail. Any swelling of the oil gland? I would investigate that discomfort a bit more.
Look him over well for lice and mites. Consider getting a fecal float to see if worms may be part of the issue.

His back side is getting covered with poop, any leakage from the vent like Gleet or is it just stuck poop?

Crop emptying?

I have a beautiful Svart Honda with blue ears. He is 6 years old. Last week he did not look good. A lot of dried poop on his backside. I brought him in and bathed him. Kept him overnight in a cage in our warm greenhouse. put water and gave him some applesauce and cottage cheese. The next morning he was more himself. He began to crow when I carried him out. Over the weekend he began to decline again. Today he is really sluggish, very easy to pick up. His backside is all covered again in a yellow/white creamy looking poop. He reacts when I touch the base of his tail when I pet him as if it is uncomfortable.
Right now he is in the greenhouse in a cage with water and food (scrambled eggs and applesauce). I also brought one of his smaller hens who is not in the best condition with him. (They have been right beside each other for the last few days).
I hesitate to take him to vet, he is an older boy, but if there is something I could do for him here I would be grateful for any suggestions. He has been the sweetest nicest rooster and was always good to his flock. Uploaded a picture of my handsome boy in his prime
Thank you
He is so beautiful ❤️
Give him some Probiotics Prebiotics they will help

Back
Top Bottom