Elector PSP Question

Rainbowfeathers96

In the Brooder
May 31, 2023
Hi all,

I have an infestation of what I believe are Northern Fowl Mites. I live in Southeastern PA. I already did Permethrin treatment to my hens and their coop, but I am waiting on Elector PSP to arrive to use that sometime this week. I want to give each of my 4 girls an Elector PSP soak. I know the dosage and how much to mix with water, I am just curious if anyone has done the soak method and how long you left them in? I’m thinking it’ll be more of a dip. Any other advice would be much appreciated :) thank you!

I've never needed either product but I've sure learned a lot about them. According to Elector PSP instructions, there are no dip instructions.

However, I found a thread you might be interested in where this person dipped her chicken in it. I found another comment elsewhere where they referred to it as a dip.

Neogen insectrin x permethrin in oil,a concentrate you mix water, put spray bottle.works much better then any other formula.Smells like gasoline,but,has residual,and keeps norther fowl mites very low,not gone.Every nook,cranmy.Lots ventilation,until dry.I NEVERlet permethrin liquid get on chickens,burn.This brand is oily,too.I have seen mites walk through permethrin,no faith it does much.That brand for structure is different,but ,not on animals.I did not dilute as quite much.
All steps must dry before next step.
The elector psp concentrate I used was captains jacks bug b gone with SPINOSAD..
1 part concentrate( shake before pouring,settles fast),to 4 parts water.shake frequently, ,then spray chicken,well.I gently in warm water washed mine first.Kept warm until dry.
Repeat SPINOSAD spray ,3 days later,lighter amount,just under tail,,under body,back,lightly,not on skin ,like first time.Spray SPINOSAD,ceilings,corners,under things.No fumes.
Read every study can find old,new,Perethrin been resistant nfm,,red,mites 40 years,hard to work.dismal results.that brand, is best.Fluraner works,harms animals.
Spinosad,from all literature,lasts,few weeks.Used in Australia,Europe.
Tested on my skin did not sting.However,strong amounts may effect birds,but only undiluted concentrates.
Then 2 drops Ivermectin,on back,5mg.formula.commonly sold.Small amounts on Etsy,rabbit store.Ivermectin repeated 7 -10 days.If kept checked,clean,SPINOSAD,permethrin brand mentioned,,may stay away,have to tape check everyday.Clear Duktape.Walls floors,etc.
Clear Duck tap 2” wide 3” pieces,need to be put gently under tails 20 minutes,not stuck feathers,barely touching.
After these 3 methods, ,there will be no mites or bugs anywhere.
I use 50/50 bleach water,on all cages,nexts,everywhere,it’s a good start,before anything.,before sprays,it also kill eggs,.
all of this dry before chicken come in structure.Nothing will survive all that.Any tape test should be blank,for sometime.
my chickens only minded the bath,but,you don’t have to do this,before,using SPINOSAD..I did 2 drops of the 5 mg.ivermectin last,after all cleaning.
Anyone can check a chicken,animal,nest,pen,Duck tap test.Have magnifying glass bright light,you’ll see what you’re missing.
Many vet clinics outline these 3 steps.I added bleach,does kill eggs everything,no residual.Spinosad 28 days,That brand perethrin few weeks.

Last edited:
I couldn’t edit my last bit,so I’ll add,maintence suggestions,after mites cleared,I like sulfer,and then captain jacks bug b gone,SPINOSAD dust.Apply only a little sprinkle,NOT ON SKIN,JUST FEATHERS,outside is best for ventilation..One week 1 one week ,then another next week.If they itch from either dust,stop,or use less.
These two in test after test in commercial spaces,very high success,.alternating both ,and sprinkling in nest work great.
these methods I’ve talked about are for harder northern fowl mite issues.
always do tape test to monitor progress,clear Duk tape,(off brand is not sticky to work.)
If you rely on only permethrin ,it will never treat with very much success.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom