Em has worms

Chicken poppy

Fashionably late 🎤🦆
Premium Feather Member
May 9, 2021
Poppyland
Upon dealing with bumblefoot with Em, as if the poor girl hasn’t been through enough already, with her crying because i was trying to get her in a bucket! She didn’t last but a few minutes.

Anyway, she ended up pooping in the house, and this is one of the very few times im actually thankful for that. I have no pictures, but i will take a picture next time she poos. I saw 2 (or one really long worm that looks like 2) white worms, squirming in the poop. Not sure if there is more, but that was enough for me to panic. Can someone please help me out? What should i do?

Is it possible she could have just ingested something? My poor baby.

Also, when dealing with her bumble, i see a tiny worm on her foot squirming to. Its dead now (hasn’t moved for a while, looks dead) but what the heck? Its really tiny. Could she have just picked that up? Or maybe it fell from some poo stuff to her butt fluff. (Looked like a pretty basic worm to me, though. Pink, small, skinny. Not white)

The worm on her foot could be a maggot. The worms in her poop sound like roundworms. Do you have any pictures. For roundworms, you can give Valbazen (0.5 ml) 1/2 ml orally, and repeat it in 10 days. Or use SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer or horse paste 0.25 ml (1/4 ml) per pound of weight given once and again in 10 days. Or use the SafeGuard for 5 straight days to get any possible types of worms except tapeworms . Valbazen is still just 2 doses.

The worm on her foot could be a maggot. The worms in her poop sound like roundworms. Do you have any pictures. For roundworms, you can give Valbazen (0.5 ml) 1/2 ml orally, and repeat it in 10 days. Or use SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer or horse paste 0.25 ml (1/4 ml) per pound of weight given once and again in 10 days. Or use the SafeGuard for 5 straight days to get any possible types of worms except tapeworms . Valbazen is still just 2 doses.
Thank you. I don’t for the poop yet, but i will get pictures in a moment.

There was only one, and i saw no cuts or anything on her foot. (Shes a bantam cochin, with lots of feathers on her feet, so it was hard to tell)

It basically just shriveled up now, you can barely tell its a worm at this point, i do have a picture of it now, it was thicker on the head bit and thinner at the other end
3ACB3EC8-ACB7-4620-93AD-A28EB3E07634.jpeg

Don’t mind the dot thing above it, it was a bit of bumble that came off.

I saw 2 (or one really long worm that looks like 2) white worms, squirming in the poop.
If unsegmented, in a regular poop (vs. cecal), and big enough you easily noticed them, it sounds like roundworms. This thread has some pictures to compare against in the last few posts. I recently had roundworms in a new bird that was in quarantine - one live worm visible in one poop. No vets near me deal with poultry to do fecal floats so I just had to treat with fenbendazole based on that observation. My local feed store had a bottle of fenbendazole capsules intended for poultry weighing 4-7lbs; I opened the capsules and mixed the powder with feed mash to get the bird to eat it.

I used safegaurd for 5 days now, but i have a question.

Sense it says humans cannot consume the egg or anything, can babies hatch from the egg? After given the 5 day treatment?

I want Darling to hatch eggs but not sure if it would affect that.

It should not affect hatching eggs.
Most people follow a 14 day withdrawl for eating eggs after treatment, if they worry about it. Many ignore it altogether. The residue is very small, so do what you are comfortable with there. Link below to one document on withdrawl times, the pertinent part is quoted below.
"The data in study #S12173-00-DWF-MET-PO show that total residues of fenbendazole in eggs of treated chickens at zero-day withdrawal are well below the safe concentration of 2.4 ppm for residues in eggs.”
Full document here: https://www.ams.usda.gov/sites/default/files/media/LSFenbendazoleDDFall2019.pdf

It should not affect hatching eggs.
Most people follow a 14 day withdrawl for eating eggs after treatment, if they worry about it. Many ignore it altogether. The residue is very small, so do what you are comfortable with there. Link below to one document on withdrawl times, the pertinent part is quoted below.
"The data in study #S12173-00-DWF-MET-PO show that total residues of fenbendazole in eggs of treated chickens at zero-day withdrawal are well below the safe concentration of 2.4 ppm for residues in eggs.”
Full document here: https://www.ams.usda.gov/sites/default/files/media/LSFenbendazoleDDFall2019.pdf
Thank you! I don’t eat the eggs anyway, so that‘s not a problem. Just had to make sure it wouldn’t really effect the hatching eggs.

Back
Top Bottom