Embden goose question

2022duckowner

In the Brooder
Feb 9, 2024
hi, I just joined because I have a question I keep my geese in an old hog market selling barn/lean-to because the back has doors that slide open and there Are gates and shutes and pens to get the hogs to go where they need to go but anyway I have them in a pen and I am wondering if I should move them back outside because the barn is facing east so the sun will rise shine in for a couple of hours and then noon when the sun is right above it there is not as much light and then the sun lowers and you can see better because the sun shines through the doors so I was wondering if that is enough light for them to lay eggs don't get me wrong I would rather have them outside but I had this coyote come by yes it was a coyote I saw it on camera he got 7 blue Swedish ducks 3 turkeys and 8 chickens so I don't want to put them out there and find them dead please I need help.

I keep my geese in at night because I live in an area with predators too. They’re out and about during the day, under watch either by my dogs and me.

Extra sun will increase the probability of laying but not necessarily. Geese tend to start laying in winter after the solstice to spring but that’s a guarantee. My girls are fairly random when they start laying, some in winter, some closer to spring, some in spring, some will even halt and then resume laying in late summer.
Im not sure how old your geese are but heavy breeds like embdens can also be a little slower to mature and may start laying a bit later.

I keep my geese in at night because I live in an area with predators too. They’re out and about during the day, under watch either by my dogs and me.

Extra sun will increase the probability of laying but not necessarily. Geese tend to start laying in winter after the solstice to spring but that’s a guarantee. My girls are fairly random when they start laying, some in winter, some closer to spring, some in spring, some will even halt and then resume laying in late summer.
Im not sure how old your geese are but heavy breeds like embdens can also be a little slower to mature and may start laying a bit later.
okay thank you my Embden geese are coming on 2 years old

Back
Top Bottom