FogHorn Leghorn III

In the Brooder
May 7, 2023
I’m in Texas and extreme weather has us by the huevos.

Last night, my wireless thermometer reader sat at a comfortable 100 all day.

A thunderstorm brought flash flooding, lighting, hail, and power outages. (Being my second time at this rodeo.) I made sure to keep the DIY incubator insulated in a closet of a centralized room, and if the power went out I’d still have time to MacGyver a solution.

1:08am lights go out.

Temperature check: 100. First 10 minutes. 👏 then 99. So glad I can depend on layered insulation. 10 more minutes. It’s at 97.

Then I realize that I had left the door open.
In a panic I need to stabilize the temperature.Instinctively I went to the stove heated water in a put and put it under the incubator. The temp was at 98 and holding. I had don’t it woo

I get a torch and try to hot air balloon the sh*t (excuse my French,) out of the closet, which by the way doesn’t even have a door I draped a thick quilt over the opening. Doing so, I look down at the torch and see the Carbon-monoxide poisoning warning ⛔️ I need to increase the amount of hot water.

Two gallon regular sized pots were toooooo hot the temp went to 104°

Mainly due to the fact that I wrapped my jacket with goose feather 🪶 around the box and that really kept them warm so I covered everything with a towel and the then left ignorantly. (ignoring+ly aware of the humidity.)

I can only fix one problem at a time ya know!

Post your magyver moves when you acted like a diligent mother hen to protect your clutch!

Last edited:
i have a solar system, mainly to run the water, after living through several days-long outages due to hurricane i made that happen, like 8 golf cart batts and 2X 2500w sine inverters ... but i think 1 full sized deep cycle like they use for trolling motors, a small inverter maybe couple hundred watts, and a small maintainer charger wouldnt be too terribly unreasonably priced for insurance .. in a pinch at least youd have alittle juice to run a laptop and charge things to ..

i have a solar system, mainly to run the water, after living through several days-long outages due to hurricane i made that happen, like 8 golf cart batts and 2X 2500w sine inverters ... but i think 1 full sized deep cycle like they use for trolling motors, a small inverter maybe couple hundred watts, and a small maintainer charger wouldnt be too terribly unreasonably priced for insurance .. in a pinch at least youd have alittle juice to run a laptop and charge things to ..
I like how you think!

Back
Top Bottom