Emergency move of eggs on day 19 with a broody hen.

BrynsHyns

Chirping
Feb 24, 2021
On day 18- 3 eggs had been kicked out of the nesting box of my broody hen (SL Wyandotte) by other hens. I put one cracked one back in because it wasn't bleeding and it was wiggling (candling).
On day 19 I moved them down to a dog crate inside the coop with broody momma but didn't realize I wasn't supposed to move the eggs. It's day 20 today and I'm super anxious. They are all under broody momma now, but did I just really screw up my potential hatch?candles. I have a lavender araucana that also went broody and have 4 eggs under her too but I don't know their hatch date exactly.
Also, I don't necessarily have extra run space, but would it be better to leave her and the hopeful chicks in here inside the coop protected from elements or put them in a kennel out in the run?

Attachments

• 20220530_190603.jpg
    20220530_190603.jpg
    687.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 20220530_190610.jpg
    20220530_190610.jpg
    641 KB · Views: 11
They will probably be just fine. I've moved eggs from one hen to another on day 19 without issue. My bigger concern would be if mama hen is upset by the move, which it doesn't seem like she is.
It is up to you and your flock dynamics if you leave them in the coop or not. Keep an eye on it and see if chicks are alright with the flock once mama hen takes them out of the nest. I would recommend moving one of the hens with chicks though as broody hens can be quite aggressive and two together can be an issue. But also they might be fine! Chickens laugh at people rules.

Back
Top Bottom