Entering the Most Dangerous Time of the Year

triciayoung

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
Oct 15, 2022
Mountville, SC
My Coop
My Coop
Over the past few days, I have been a nervous wreck hearing and watching the hawks try some daring maneuvers - and there are many more of them. A red-shouldered hawk tried a dive and bounced off my hawk netting. It was not the little hawks I usually see, it was big - probably a Mom. Even though my chicken yard has hardware cloth sides, with an apron, is hard covered in some areas and has great quality hawk netting roof in other areas, I still worry.

Please remember that we are entering the most dangerous time of the year for predators that want our birds. Our chickens predators are looking for food for their little ones in the spring. Predators that generally hunt when the sun is down will boldly come out during the day if they need to feed their young. Daytime predators also have more mouths to feed. Chickens are at the top of their list. Don't let your guard down, and get your coop and run in good predator proof order.

Over the past few days, I have been a nervous wreck hearing and watching the hawks try some daring maneuvers - and there are many more of them. A red-shouldered hawk tried a dive and bounced off my hawk netting. It was not the little hawks I usually see, it was big - probably a Mom. Even though my chicken yard has hardware cloth sides, with an apron, is hard covered in some areas and has great quality hawk netting roof in other areas, I still worry.

Please remember that we are entering the most dangerous time of the year for predators that want our birds. Our chickens predators are looking for food for their little ones in the spring. Predators that generally hunt when the sun is down will boldly come out during the day if they need to feed their young. Daytime predators also have more mouths to feed. Chickens are at the top of their list. Don't let your guard down, and get your coop and run in good predator proof order.
Thank you for this timely reminder! I had two large Coopers' Hawks circling my yard today, hoping for chicken or duck dinner.
I also need to check the condition of my coops; I know one is not as predator proof as I would like...

Keep the wild birds and rodents away from your coop as well. Both are natural food for all kinds of predators. Even if they help control the vermin you are artificially increasing the available food supply for the predators and increasing their numbers.

A natural territory will only support so many prey species and predators, leaving a buffet out for the prey species like rodents and wild birds is a terrible idea plus the amount of pests like lice and mites that continually arrive.

Back
Top Bottom