Escape room for brooder

Mama Poule

Chirping
Apr 16, 2021
I posted on the intro page about my 6 five-week-old chicks bullying/pecking my 2 three-week-old silkies. I tried the “see but don’t touch” method with wire dividing the brooder, but the chicks kept chirping to get to each other. I tried to put them together again, but again, the silkies hid in the corner getting pecked after about a minute.
Finally, I decided to build an addition onto the coop- a large area separated by a little “Tom and Jerry” door that only the silkies can fit through. It seems to be working! The silkies will venture into the main coop, but they have the option of running away through their little door when they need to. Maybe this is a bad idea? I’m thinking of raising them separately if they don’t work out together. I have two coops. I’m new to chickens, and any input is appreciated. 🙂 (You can see the leghorn trying to peek through in the pic lol)

Attachments

• F5C1CAD9-657F-4D8D-9FB2-699460F9865E.jpeg
    F5C1CAD9-657F-4D8D-9FB2-699460F9865E.jpeg
    606.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 200C02D3-D5F8-4999-9D66-78921282C5BA.jpeg
    200C02D3-D5F8-4999-9D66-78921282C5BA.jpeg
    809.7 KB · Views: 11
I am brand new to this but this looks like a good solution, I see they have access to water in there it looks like. I have the opposite issue, my tiniest chick is the peckiest of mine, and in the beginning, pecked the older and larger ones! Things have calmed down a lot in the last few days for us.

I was worried that our bully would continue keeping the others out of the heater so I got another one. They separated the first few days, but have since agreed to stay together and stop chasing each other out of the heater.

I love the photo of the leghorn looking into the escape room haha!

How much room so they have? I have 4 week olds in with 9 week olds (and 7 week olds) and after the first day, there is hardly any bullying and some if these birds are 8 times as large if not larger

I posted on the intro page about my 6 five-week-old chicks bullying/pecking my 2 three-week-old silkies. I tried the “see but don’t touch” method with wire dividing the brooder, but the chicks kept chirping to get to each other. I tried to put them together again, but again, the silkies hid in the corner getting pecked after about a minute.
Finally, I decided to build an addition onto the coop- a large area separated by a little “Tom and Jerry” door that only the silkies can fit through. It seems to be working! The silkies will venture into the main coop, but they have the option of running away through their little door when they need to. Maybe this is a bad idea? I’m thinking of raising them separately if they don’t work out together. I have two coops. I’m new to chickens, and any input is appreciated. 🙂 (You can see the leghorn trying to peek through in the pic lol)
It's crazy the things we do to take care of these little guys isn't it. Looks like you're working it out I have exactly the same white and blue silky. This is only my second round of raising chicks and ducklings. The silkies are quite a bit different then my others. They seem to be more sensitive and quirky.

Back
Top Bottom