Especially confused by my BO

Looks like a roo to me! My daughter said you can tell by the wattles (she calls 'em lopper doodles) and the larger comb. They form along with the comb.

She ID'd my three 10-11 week old roos when they were only about five or six weeks old. She was right; the one crowing now is one of those she ID'd . . .

I found this article on sexing chickens which includes just about every method known to man or woman! The source is included beneath the paragraph.

Combs and Wattles
You may also be able to tell hens vs roosters by their combs and wattles. The comb is the area of the chicken that is on the top of the chicken’s head. This can appear on either the head of a rooster or a hen.

However, when a rooster grows a comb, it is generally larger and brighter than that of a hen’s. Wattles are the fleshy parts of skin that are located under a chicken’s neck or beak area. In roosters, wattles are larger and more brightly colored.

Wattles on a rooster generally hang down longer than that of a hen’s wattle. A young chick may start to develop a larger or brighter wattle or comb than the other chickens in the flock. This may be a good indicator as to its gender. However, this is not always accurate.

Source: https://cs-tf.com/how-to-tell-a-rooster-from-a-hen/

Looks like a roo to me! My daughter said you can tell by the wattles (she calls 'em lopper doodles) and the larger comb. They form along with the comb.

She ID'd my three 10-11 week old roos when they were only about five or six weeks old. She was right; the one crowing now is one of those she ID'd . . .

I found this article on sexing chickens which includes just about every method known to man or woman! The source is included beneath the paragraph.

Source: https://cs-tf.com/how-to-tell-a-rooster-from-a-hen/

Thank you I read the article it’s very informative. Still holding out hope but diminishing by the minute 😂

Thank you I read the article it’s very informative. Still holding out hope but diminishing by the minute 😂
Awwwwww, I'm sorry you have a guy instead of a gal. With my latest batch of chicken kids, I consider myself very lucky to have only three cockerels. I've been watching to see which one of them I want to keep. Then again, I may need two; with four adult hens plus eight pullets. I'm thinking that may be too many for one roo. But, will they fight over the ladies? Always something to make me think . . .

Back
Top Bottom