establishing pecking order or mean roo?

redwings7

Hatching
Apr 29, 2015
Hi everyone, we are brand new chicken owners. We currently have 6 total, 4 BOs and 2 SLW,all hatched together and raised together. Currently 9 weeks old. In the past few days we have noticed one of the SLW, which we think is a roo picking on one of the BO pullets. He has been grabbing her comb, jumping on her back and essentially just abusing her while ignoring the other pullets. She is terrified of him him, won't free range with the other birds, and watches every where he goes. She will stay in the run and eats at the feeder while the other birds are free ranging, and has resorted to hiding under my wife's car to get away from him.
My question is this normal young roo behavior? Is this the start of establishing the pecking order and she is going to be at the bottom? Is this an early sign of how he will treat the other girls?
This has been the first 'issue' we've had with our young flock
thanks for any input and advise!

Welcome! Young cockrels tend to be idiots, and he doesn't have any mature birds to show him the rules. He may turn out fine, or not. You could separate him for a while (in a dog crate or something,) maybe for a week or so, and then reintroduce him and see if he's lower in the pecking order. On the other hand, nasty birds must go! Mary

Thanks for the advise! We're actually going to re home him. He went after my wife today and she is tired of him terrorizing herand her favorite pullet.
It was either I find another home for him, or my wife would re home me!

Birds that are dumb enough to attack the person who feeds them need to be in someone's freezer. If you are moving him on, make it with full disclosure, and as a meat bird. He will only get worse, and could really injure a child. There are nice roosters out there; get a better one next time. Mary

We're giving him to one of my coworkers who has over 50+ birds and has been raising then for decades. I've told her about the issues we've had and she thinks her dominant rooster will keep him in line.

Back
Top Bottom