Everyday is Turning into an Adventure

ldel4567

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 13, 2012
The chicks are going to be 4months old. I don't know when they become adolescent, but they are definitely on their way. Yesterday, they were out grazing most of the morning. About 2:30 - 3:00 I wanted to get them back to the coop, before I had to go to the work. I got four chicks in and the rooster, but two chicks were still outside and under the front door ramp. They would not heed my words when I called them out from under the ramp. Trying to catch them was darn near impossible I would get one and then it would escape my grasp, and run back to the ramp. I tried to coax them out with food- they weren't buying it. I tried gentle prodding with a stick, no luck.
Drenched in sweat, I did manage to catch them, and get them in the coop.

Today, I let the chickens out much later- 3pm. I did not have to work so I left them to go in on their own. Well, as it began to get dark I went out to check on them . They were in the coop; ready to settle in. Then, I showed up, and they "flew the coop". They come running over to me, and start their scratching. I went to get a rake; to pick up the grass clippings from cutting the grass. Fine.
When I was finished, I walked to the coop the chickens followed and proceeded to roost, or so I thought. Who jumps in first, is the rooster. He gets in and seems to be securing the area. He will not let the hens join him on the perch, chasing them off, until he found what he was looking for(?) They get intimidated and come back out of the coop. They are uncertain what to do. I'm standing there as an observer-first, then a perch. ONE-BY-ONE THEY START TO TAKE UP RESIDENCE ON ME.Six birds perched, three on each arm.
Holding them there, as long as I could until the rooster was done with his security sweep. If there was a camera around it would have made quite a photograph! Sqatting in the door of the coop with the chickens using me as a take off pad.LOL ( a picture would have told a thousand words!)

Tomorrow is another day.

now is the time to teach them treats- it will really come in handy later- a little black sunflower seed or scratch, that was they know you for the 'treat bringer'...

by the way, no day is every the same when you have chickens!

Back
Top Bottom