Excited!

SharW75

Songster
Jul 26, 2019
Ohio
My nieces' teacher is hatching out some eggs for her kids (to be live streamed when they start hatching), and we are donating some eggs. The chicks that hatch will be added to our flock. :) We have lots of different breeds, so these will all be cross-breeds.

We are trying to get a large variety of eggs from the girls. So far, we have eggs from:

turken
white rock
barred cochin (standard)
EE
white crested blue polish
brown leghorn
buff rock
gold laced polish
french black copper marans

All of our roosters are bantams or bantam cross. They include:

OEGB
cochin
black Japanese
gold sebright
silkie

Should be an interesting bunch of babies! They go in the incubator on Monday or Tuesday. Fingers crossed for a good hatch rate! :)

Last edited:
That sounds like some super cool crosses! How do the bantams do with breeding the standard hens? We have a Buff Brahma Bantam rooster, I'm interested in seeing how he does with fertility. The golden Sebright/golden laced polish would be awesome, you should separate them together lol and incubate a couple. Excited for you!

Thank you!!!

Our silkies and little red cochin guy have no issues whatsoever with the bigger hens. We already have a few babies from them. I'm not sure about the others. They try, but I'm not sure how successful they are. :D I guess we'll find out in a few weeks!

Thank you!!!

Our silkies and little red cochin guy have no issues whatsoever with the bigger hens. We already have a few babies from them. I'm not sure about the others. They try, but I'm not sure how successful they are. :D I guess we'll find out in a few weeks!
You're welcome! That's cool! My silly little bantam tries too, but the hens literally walk around while he sits on them lol! I feel bad for him. We got rid of the big mean roosters and just kept the little guy because he eats so much less, and he's so cute. I'll be watching this thread, I can't wait to see how it goes!

:lol: We have a couple of little guys that just get rides from the hens too. We're actually delivering the eggs to the teacher tomorrow instead of over the weekend, so hopefully she can set them tomorrow or Saturday instead of Monday or Tuesday. She has also offered an incubator for my nieces to use at home to try hatching. She said the incubator isn't always reliable, so I'm not sure we'll try to use it. I'd hate for it to get halfway through and quit on us or something.

Delivered the eggs to the teacher this morning, and she said she was going to set them either tomorrow or Sunday. We gave her a dozen, and my mom gave her 6, so hopefully we get a good hatch! :fl

She also brought us the incubator to try. She said she's used it for 2 years in the classroom and hasn't had one chick hatch in either of those two years, so I don't know...I need to read up on the brand and maybe give it a good clean and then we'll see.

My nieces' teacher is hatching out some eggs for her kids (to be live streamed when they start hatching), and we are donating some eggs. The chicks that hatch will be added to our flock. :) We have lots of different breeds, so these will all be cross-breeds.

We are trying to get a large variety of eggs from the girls. So far, we have eggs from:

turken
white rock
barred cochin (standard)
EE
white crested blue polish
brown leghorn
buff rock
gold laced polish
french black copper marans

All of our roosters are bantams or bantam cross. They include:

OEGB
cochin
black Japanese
gold sebright
silkie

Should be an interesting bunch of babies! They go in the incubator on Monday or Tuesday. Fingers crossed for a good hatch rate! :)
What fun. I hatched for my daughter's Girl Scout troop a couple years ago. It was a fun project and roaring success.

Delivered the eggs to the teacher this morning, and she said she was going to set them either tomorrow or Sunday. We gave her a dozen, and my mom gave her 6, so hopefully we get a good hatch! :fl

She also brought us the incubator to try. She said she's used it for 2 years in the classroom and hasn't had one chick hatch in either of those two years, so I don't know...I need to read up on the brand and maybe give it a good clean and then we'll see.
Yikes. That's not the best track record. What incubator is it? What's your hatch rate on your eggs when you hatch them?

What fun. I hatched for my daughter's Girl Scout troop a couple years ago. It was a fun project and roaring success.

Yikes. That's not the best track record. What incubator is it? What's your hatch rate on your eggs when you hatch them?

Yeah, that's why I'm torn. The incubator is where my nieces are (next door), so when I go to the farm later, I'll check and get some pictures of it.

Usually, our hatch rate is about 75% from the eggs we give to the teacher to incubate at school, so pretty good odds. :)

Back
Top Bottom