Expanding our coop :-)

MarlaMac

Songster
Aug 14, 2022
Central Texas
Chickens grow fast! I am sure that is not news to anyone on this forum. I thought we could wait until May to extend the coop, but we cannot. The little ones are growing fast and with the addition of a hatched cockerel, we need the space now. My husband HATES my chicken math because it usually results in an emergency situation for him. In reality he is a REALLY GOOD sport with all this stuff. Hoping to have it complete within the next 7-10 days. It will be a 6 x 12 walk in extension and will house all the chickens I will ever want. Current flock is 10 hens/pullets, 1 rooster, 1 cockerel, 1 young one still unknown sex. Want to add 9 more pullets and keep the flock at this number. Will try to find another home for the other chick if it turns out to be a cockerel.

Our flock free ranges all day, so this will give them the needed space to sleep comfortable. Also, made it with large open windows to help them stay comfortable in hot and humid summers here in Central Texas. Designing it so that it can be winterized easily, but that will come later when the weather turns again sometime in October.

Progress so far.

1. Set foundation posts

1_1 Setting Foundation Pillars.jpg

Laid floor foundation/covered with hardware cloth

2_1 Built Foundation and Covered with Hardware Cloth.jpg

Laid floor base.

3-2 Laying Floor.jpg

Enlisted the best helpers.

PXL_20230310_185138957.jpg

East Wall Progress and complete – learned a lot on this wall that we will not repeat on West Wall.

5_1 East Wall Progress.jpg

5_2 East Wall Finished.jpg

East Wall Finished.jpg

Can't wait for the new coop. I am sure rooster and his flock want us out of the way too!

Will update as it comes together.

West wall complete and in place.

1679006398706.jpeg

East wall complete and in place. Still need to complete painting window areas and grandkid hand prints area.

1679006459882.jpeg

Next is engineering the transition wall from old coop to new coop.

1679006614271.jpeg

Best news - found an practically new all wood external door that we can cut down from 80 inches to the 68-69 inches we will put in - for $20 on FB. :thumbsup

Coop has come a long way in the last 10 days. Happy with the progress. It was quite the task of aligning the new addition to the old coop, but it is working out well. First mistake was not leveling the old coop before we started, so we have had to adjust where they come together. We just set the roof frame today and will add the tin tomorrow if the wind isn't too bad. Floor is done, and we have a temporary roost in place in case they want to move in, but they are still all freaking out. One slept with her butt hanging into the new section last night - evidenced by poop in the room. :)

Found vinyl planks for $0.79 at Lowes. That is our broody momma - she is the first an only to visit the new digs.

Attachments

• PXL_20230328_215747061.jpg
    PXL_20230328_215747061.jpg
    700.5 KB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20230328_173321512.jpg
    PXL_20230328_173321512.jpg
    544 KB · Views: 7
  • PXL_20230327_151518150.jpg
    PXL_20230327_151518150.jpg
    455.5 KB · Views: 7
Almost done. Looking in from man door. DH even made me a door stop from left over door framing.

Looking in from man door.jpg

Roomy nest boxes. May build a platform for them to rest on so I don't have to bend down so far to get eggs. Chickens like them on the floor though, so we shall see. Six boxes built in two sections. We will put hinges/handles on them on them so they can be lifted for cleaning purposes. Radiant barrier on the walls behind b/c it is so hot here in the dead of summer. Radiant barrier nestled behind hardware cloth to create air flow through the nests.

Roomy lay boxes.jpg

Inside a lay box.jpg
Back of lay box.jpg

Roost bars are removable for easier cleaning.

Removable roost.jpg

Removable roost 2.jpg

Shelf for chicken stuff.

Shelves.jpg

But where did all 13 try to sleep last night? Here 👇- inside the 3x3 section of the old coop that I left open as a walk way to the new coop. Had to go out after night fall and move them all to a roosting spot in the new coop. I closed off the old roosting area to get the to move all the way in. Tonight should be interesting. Once the get used to going to roost in the new coop area, we will open up the other side again and redesign it to have only one roost running the length of the area (about 7 feet).

Old coop section.jpg

Still have to finish touching up paint on outside and removing the hang on outside nest box on old coop which they NEVER used anyway. Will make a closable "window" that can be opened for greater air flow through that side of the coop in summer.

💕

West wall complete and in place.

View attachment 3433735

East wall complete and in place. Still need to complete painting window areas and grandkid hand prints area.

View attachment 3433740

Next is engineering the transition wall from old coop to new coop.

View attachment 3433747

Best news - found an practically new all wood external door that we can cut down from 80 inches to the 68-69 inches we will put in - for $20 on FB. :thumbsup
This is really nice, we actually made our own coops once too, we made a rectangle made of planks and then bended metal sheets on each side into it as it was laying on the ground, then cut out a back and a front (with an added door) and it was complete. I can send some pictures later if i can find my camera..

Chickens grow fast! I am sure that is not news to anyone on this forum. I thought we could wait until May to extend the coop, but we cannot. The little ones are growing fast and with the addition of a hatched cockerel, we need the space now. My husband HATES my chicken math because it usually results in an emergency situation for him. In reality he is a REALLY GOOD sport with all this stuff. Hoping to have it complete within the next 7-10 days. It will be a 6 x 12 walk in extension and will house all the chickens I will ever want. Current flock is 10 hens/pullets, 1 rooster, 1 cockerel, 1 young one still unknown sex. Want to add 9 more pullets and keep the flock at this number. Will try to find another home for the other chick if it turns out to be a cockerel.

Our flock free ranges all day, so this will give them the needed space to sleep comfortable. Also, made it with large open windows to help them stay comfortable in hot and humid summers here in Central Texas. Designing it so that it can be winterized easily, but that will come later when the weather turns again sometime in October.

Progress so far.

1. Set foundation posts

View attachment 3430037
Laid floor foundation/covered with hardware cloth

View attachment 3430038

Laid floor base.

View attachment 3430039

Enlisted the best helpers.

View attachment 3430042
East Wall Progress and complete – learned a lot on this wall that we will not repeat on West Wall.

View attachment 3430040

View attachment 3430041

View attachment 3430047
Can't wait for the new coop. I am sure rooster and his flock want us out of the way too!

Will update as it comes together.
Your addition looks great!

Back
Top Bottom