external nesting box for blue egg layers---what dimensions

floridagramps1

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 13, 2011
I am building a coop for my dau who is getting 10 chickens that lay blue eggs..........believe they are called Americana. I am looking for suggestions for the nesting box I will build next week. I plan on making a box that will be attached to the outside of an 8 foot long wall. The chickens will enter via the 15 1/4 inches between studs on the inside of the coop.
I am planning on building this box 1 foot deep with a height that varies from 12 inches to 18 inches because of the slanting hinged top. Is this box too big for Americana chickens.
15Wx12Dx18H. Very easy to adjust dimensions at this point

Should I install the nesting box just above floor level in the coop or should it be higher on the wall? I have read here that some chickens prefer a 3 or 4 inch tall apron on front of nesting box for more privacy........yes or no?

thanks again for all the tips I have received this past 2 weeks

Quote:
Here are pictures of my nest box in the project stage. My box is 7.5 long, 16 inches DEEP, and about 20 inches in height on the inside of the box because of the angle of the roof on top. I don't think you can go too big. Just adjust the dividers as you see fit. I think 12 inches deep (personally) would be a bit too short. If you look at my BYC page, you can see step by step on it. But I simply adjusted the trim over the box opening on the inside for the 'lip' on front to keep shavings in. I think I have about a 4 inch lip. I would install your nest boxes lower to the floor so they won't want to roost in them.
wink.png
Easier to get in and out of safely, too.

96635_img_3129.jpg

96635_img_3292.jpg

96635_img_4879.jpg

Last edited:
My nest boxes are basically 12-inch cubes - and they're plenty big enough for all my hens - and they range from medium to large size. So anything you build that's that general size - a little bigger is fine - should work. You don't want it to be too big, though, because then two or more hens will try to crowd into the same nest - which could result in broken eggs. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom