Extra Protein in Summer

Barb Root Hinkkanen

Songster
6 Years
Aug 19, 2017
Mississippi Gulf Coast
Good Morning, Everyone!

Does anyone provide extra protein for their chickens in summer? Their food is 18% protein; as I was reading I see that turkey food is 30% and was wondering if I could take a couple of handfuls and give it to them as scratch when it is very hot or cold. I don't want to harm them in any way. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

My chickens love game bird feed (turkey feed) I believe it's about 25%-30% protein, @Kiki I believe Kiki has charts and good info from studies on feed and protein levels, I think I remember you can feed up to 70% protein without injury.
Maybe make 3.1 mix of chicken and turkey feed?

I supplement a lot of low protein foods (mostly fruits and veggies), so I do feed some higher protein feed (30%) in addition to their standard layer ration. It’s been the easiest way I’ve found to keep protein levels high while feeding freely available produce.

I supplement a lot of low protein foods (mostly fruits and veggies), so I do feed some higher protein feed (30%) in addition to their standard layer ration. It’s been the easiest way I’ve found to keep protein levels high while feeding freely available produce.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom