Extremely cold weather

Jun 9, 2021
Colorado
Hi everyone,
We have some super cold weather coming up and I was wondering if I should still let my chickens out into the run or keep them in their coop? I have some food in there right now, but I would also add water and some scratch to keep them warm. What do yā€™all think? Thanks šŸ“
IMG_1718.jpeg

Depends on if the run is protected from wind and snow.
If not, I'd leave them in the coop....and yes, feed and water will need to be provided.
Hopefully your coop is large enough to accommodate them comfortably.
Chicken Cabin Fever is real!

Mine are staying in the coop today due to high winds and heavy snow I haven't been able to clean up....and they will get some EL tomorrow before the real cold snap begins.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-extreme-weather-spiel.75893/

I let my chickens decide if they want to come out. My sissy Brahma chickens refused to come out, even to get breakfast so I had to trudge through the Arctic to feed them. 18 steps, and 18 steps back. I put their chicken hoop house behind a larger wooden shed as a wind break, they just don't like the snow.

If your chickens will come out of their own accord, let them out. If they come out, count them. One very cold winter I didn't count (free range and all over the place) and one chicken stayed in. No food. Poor thing. I never made that mistake again.

Back
Top Bottom