EYP!

Teddy and Eddy

In the Brooder
Dec 15, 2020
Hi, i am currently dealing with a Hen who has EYP. She has had problems laying normal eggs lately, she will usually lay the yoke and albumen and later will lay a shell at night.
now, she hasnt laid an egg properly in about a week, her poops are white an have bile, and her crop wont move… she never has had crop problems so i know it is reproductive. she is not moving well and has always had quite a big abdomen.

I give epsom salt baths and calcium and amox but now i might give baytril because i read that could help.
i cant go to A vet and i cant perform surgery… is there any helping this girl?!?!

Egg Yolk Peritonitis​

Egg yolk peritonitis is when egg yolk finds its way into the chicken’s abdominal cavity.

This causes an inflammatory response which is usually mild, but sometimes can turn severe and cause peritonitis and death if not treated.

Since hens are prey animals they are extremely good at hiding illness, it can be tough to figure out if your hen is sick.

Knowing your flock and watching for unusual behavior is the key. Signs of illness include: lack of appetite, weakness, respiratory distress, lethargy, looking tatty and yellow colored poop. The yellow colored poop is a highly suspicious sign of egg yolk peritonitis.

To treat you will need to use antibiotics and possibly a hormone implant. However the disease must be picked up early enough for intervention.

These are a couple of the antibiotics that can be used, but there are more.

1919BFFB-9147-4047-8631-8E0608605AD8.jpeg FA115217-3D7A-48EF-88BE-D6BFFE6C4901.jpeg
I hope your hen gets better! :)

thank you for that information!!
so is the EYP most likely caused by E. coli and if it is should i give enroflaxin. I gave her baytril yesterday but i have both and i want to give her the most effective treatment possible.
so for more than three months she has laid eggs at night but they were just yolk and albumen and then a few minutes later she would lay a rubbery soft shell. She has always had eggs inside of her without being in a shell.

for quite a while, probably more than three months she has had an extended abdomen which feels like fat. I gloved up and felt around to see if I could feel an egg and it felt like it was fat but it could be yolk from EYP.

In the first three days of her feeling unwell she would poop white and bile poops that were small but they had some yellow pieces to them that usually had the shape of scrambled eggs. She stopped that and now only has white and bile poops.
Her crop isn’t digesting and i am not sure she is doing to well.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...al-laying-eyp-also-not-clearing-crop.1466262/

this article sounds exactly like what i am dealing with and sadly i dont know if I attacked this problem soon enough.

So if i am giving amoxicillin and Baytril… is that bad?
i give probiotics in morning and antibiotics in afternoon.

Back
Top Bottom