Failed hatch after failed hatch? what am i doing wrong?

Thank you for the info, what a informative article, much appreciated.

This was last night when i locked her up usually the door is open that she is next to.

I can already see the many mistakes i made, shall i leave her and the eggs for now unless she breaks another say?

Would she know better than me if they all died?
I would put a stop to this now, whether there are fertile eggs or not.
Take her off the nest.
Destroy the nest by removing the eggs and all the bedding and giving it a proper clean with a suitable disinfectant.
Some basic rules I've found work well with broody hens.
Mark the eggs so that if any other hens make donations you know which to remove.
No more than 6 eggs.
No feeding at the nest site.
If a hen doesn't get off her nest after the first couple of days of sitting then carefully lift her off and feed her away from the nest site. You may have to do this daily. Some hens get off the nest without encouragement, others may need to be shown to do it. Most get the idea after a few days of being lifted off.
Make sure she has a place to dust bath, eat and drink away from the nest.
I never restrict a hens daytime movements to and from the nest site, so not closed up broody boxes.
You may find closing her nest off at night is advisable.

Some hens seem to know when eggs are not viable, others not so much. Your problem is, if your hen does think she has fertile eggs under her then she is unlikely to abandon them of her own accord.

The good part is, most hens that go broody will do it again and you'll be better equiped to make her sit successful.

Candle the eggs and see if you have a late hatcher (possible because of too many eggs). If no one is alive remove eggs, and if possible block the nest site from her access. As far as your incubator I would take a close look at what is happening with your humidity being the chicks are dieing the last week. Check the humidity from the beginning to lock down as well as the lockdown humidity. I dry hatch, but something between 20-45 during the first stages and between 60-70 for lockdown. The other thing to look at with late losses would be the health ect. of the hens who laid the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom