Fairy egg and molting?

Mom2FluffButts

Chirping
Jul 30, 2021
Pittsburgh PA
Either my Welsummer hen or Cuckoo Marans hen laid a fairy egg yesterday. Both are going through a molt right now, the welsummers is going through a hard one. I have been pulling her out and giving her scrambled eggs and mash to help her out. Should I be concerned or is it just one of those things? One of them also laid a normal egg the next day, its hard to tell who out of those two because the Marans lays eggs that look really similar to the welsummers. Both are around 2y 6m

Attachments

• IMG_5638.jpeg
    IMG_5638.jpeg
    437.3 KB · Views: 39
Completely normal!
When in a molt, a hen usually will not use her energy and nutrients to make an egg. Sometimes, she might make a little egg to preserve energy and nutrition and focus on growing back new feathers. It's a painful and stressful process.

Completely normal!
When in a molt, a hen usually will not use her energy and nutrients to make an egg. Sometimes, she might make a little egg to preserve energy and nutrition and focus on growing back new feathers. It's a painful and stressful process.
Thank you! I wasn't expecting eggs from her again till next spring and it is my first fairy egg, so I got a touch worried. I told her she's not suppose to lay because she needs to concentrate on her feathers, lol.

It's pretty uncommon for a bird to lay while molting.
Do you have other birds that are still laying?
Are you using supplemental lighting?
All my pullets from this spring started laying 3ish weeks ago and still are. They have about 30-45ish minutes of extra light so I can count them and do body checks at night, while they roost.

All my pullets from this spring started laying 3ish weeks ago and still are. They have about 30-45ish minutes of extra light so I can count them and do body checks at night, while they roost.
So if all your birds hatched this last spring, none should be molting.
Any supplemental lighting should be on a timer,
head counts and exams can be done with a headlight.

Back
Top Bottom