Fall chicks for the first time!

Cindy in PA

Crowing
15 Years
Jul 8, 2008
Fleetwood, PA
Picked up my 8 Columbian Wyandotte chicks at the feed store yesterday morning, at this point all are doing well. I had ordered Black Wyandottes, as I presently have 9 Blue Wyandottes & that was the only kind of Wyandottes they had on their fall chick days list. They called last week to say the Blacks were going to be shorted & did I want Columbians. I had some 10 years & ago & loved them. Had originally planned to add POL this year, but the Covid messed that up. I have raised chickens for 27 years, but i have a lot of firsts anyway, LOL. First time with fall chicks, first time brooding them in the coop & this was the first time the feed store had fall chick days. Set the brooder up with extra panels for an ex pen right below the next boxes which gives them 10 sq. ft. of space. It's the 2nd time using my Premiere 1 brooder plate. It got down in the low 60s last night & is only 70s & breezy today. Had one problem, last night my 9 girls failed to go in the coop before dark, so I turned on the light & coaxed them in & of course some of the chicks came running out from the brooder. Luckily when I shut off the light all were under or really close to the plate & it all worked. Tonight will be a bit cooler. Chickens sure don't like change! So I am hoping if this works out that integration will be easier. Wish me luck!

Back
Top Bottom