Fancy pigeons in winter?

SniperGoose

Crowing
5 Years
Apr 15, 2018
Central PA
Hi all! I'm considering adopting a pair of fancy pigeons from a rescue, and honestly I'd like to keep them outdoors in the coop year round like I do with my others. I live in central Pennsylvania and winters can vary greatly! My coop is 4'Wx8'Lx7'H. In the winters I use 6mil greenhouse film to cover the coop. There are absolutely no drafts once I put the film up for the winter. I don't use any heating in the coop. This past year, it stayed relatively warm in there due to the film on the coop. The rescue has told me that fancy pigeons don't fare well in colder weather, and that I should keep them indoors in the winter. Is there any truth to this? Or can they actually be kept outdoors year round?

I suppose it would depend upon the breed and size, but I have kept many varieties of fancy birds outside without any problems. Dry, draft free, well ventilated, adequate feed and water, and they should be fine. W. Central NJ right up against the Delaware R. - my winters are similar to yours.

I suppose it would depend upon the breed and size, but I have kept many varieties of fancy birds outside without any problems. Dry, draft free, well ventilated, adequate feed and water, and they should be fine. W. Central NJ right up against the Delaware R. - my winters are similar to yours.
I'm not sure of the breed, as they didn't say, but here's a photo of them if that helps!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom