feather issue? 3wk old quail.

Kel60

Songster
Nov 9, 2020
So if got my five little bugs, everyone is growing good. But one little guy looks like hes stuck a finger in an electrical outlet.the others have passed this stage with their first not quite baby feathers and have slicked down, and look normal.

I'm wondering if he might have something like an oil gland problem or something? Are their any curly genes that can show up in quail?

20210218_002209.jpg
20210218_002157.jpg

His looks stringy, like his feathers are to oily as well as like their sticking up every which way.

He might just be a slow grower, or the nutrition or genetics of his parents may have been less than stellar. You might consider adding a product like "Chick Booster" by Nutrovet to all of their available water, this particular product sports a very impressive grocery list of vitamins, minerals and amino acids. I bought a liter of the liquid supplement for $17 (U.S. Dollars) and have been using the same bottle for years, with many years worth remaining as it only requires 5ml per liter of water (highly concentrated). My quail and chickens prefer the water with Chick Booster, so it must taste pretty good. Of the supplementation that it provides, the amino acids are likely to do your little scruffy one the most good.

What % of protein in their feed?
30% game bird feed.
I did give them a different Game bird chick feed I have that's only 22% today because I thought it might have more of the vitamins he might be missing until I can grab some supplements for them.
The other feed isnt specifically chick feed but it's the only other feed I could find with the proper protein level.

30% game bird feed.
I did give them a different Game bird chick feed I have that's only 22% today because I thought it might have more of the vitamins he might be missing until I can grab some supplements for them.
The other feed isnt specifically chick feed but it's the only other feed I could find with the proper protein level.
Sounds good to me... probably not nutritional then, I’d say genetics. He will probably grow out of it. The first set of feathers are always flimsy and ragged anyway.

Back
Top Bottom