Feather loss around the throat?

TJAnonymous

Enabler
Feb 29, 2020
Central Arkansas
Question....what would cause a hen to lose feathers around her throat (right under her beak area)? No other symptoms that I've been able to observe. I saw one hen the other day who was missing feathers in this area. Thought it was odd but didn't really get to examine her. Then today I thought I saw a 2nd hen with the same thing. Again, not totally sure about what I'm describing here since I didn't get to examine them more closely.

Question....what would cause a hen to lose feathers around her throat (right under her beak area)? No other symptoms that I've been able to observe. I saw one hen the other day who was missing feathers in this area. Thought it was odd but didn't really get to examine her. Then today I thought I saw a 2nd hen with the same thing. Again, not totally sure about what I'm describing here since I didn't get to examine them more closely.
Hi! I have noticed this on my hens as well. I have guessed that it is part of the roosters mating ritual, as I have seen roosters hold the hens and drag them by their throat sometimes. Is this area red or bloody at all?

-Hens also do this to acquire dominance.-

(If it isn't the roosters, or you don't have roosters, I would say over preening as well, or maybe lice.)

Hi! I have noticed this on my hens as well. I have guessed that it is part of the roosters mating ritual, as I have seen roosters hold the hens and drag them by their throat sometimes. Is this area red or bloody at all?

-Hens also do this to acquire dominance.-

(If it isn't the roosters, or you don't have roosters, I would say over preening as well, or maybe lice.)
I haven't seen any blood and the area wasn't red. However, I do have 5 roosters who share 50ish hens. That's not to say some hens are more submissive about being bred (or overbred). In this case, the hen in question was also missing some feathers on her back...which might indicate your theory about the mating being the culprit. I've just never seen any of the roosters grab a hen in her throat area. Combs, back of the head, etc...yeah, but not in the throat? Weird....

Just bringing this subject up again to see if anyone has any new thoughts to add... Out of 60ish hens, maybe 6-8 of them are missing feathers on their throat area. I know this was mentioned as potentially being caused during mating. While some hens are missing feathers around their entire head or back (clearly related to mating), those just missing them from their neck generally aren't missing feathers elsewhere. Just strange... I do treat for mites several times a year so I don't think that's an issue. (Also have never seen a mite on my birds, ever...)

20230919_144321.jpg
20230919_144313.jpg
20230919_144241.jpg

Back
Top Bottom