Feather Loss

ThornyRidge

Songster
11 Years
Oct 28, 2008
I am suspecting lice/mites.. however, not every chicken in the coop is affected. I currently have a BR hen who is showing feather loss on the crop and chest area and some spots on wings.. some of her feathers look ragged and curled also. The EE roo is also showing feather loss around the rear end/vent area and also on chest area/wings. None of the other chickens in the coop are showing feather loss.. I dusted with poultry pest dust a while back and treated the coop after cleaning out for winter months but wonder if there is a better way to treat if indeed this is pest related. The hen is an older hen (8 years old) and the roo is only a year old. Obviously the hen is not laying and I wonder if giving some ivomec orally would help as it does with my goats.. the question is how much and how often to repeat? or are there other suggestions for me? The chickens show no other signs of illness.. all are eating fine, drinking, no raspy wheezing, no discharges etc.

I just read another thread on this page about the same thing. Glenda posted a good reply on what to do. Try looking for that post. I know you have to repeat the dusting in 10-14 days because the lice eggs hatch out, and will just keep infesting your flock. You must treat them all.

I agree with you on the Ivomac, as what is what I use on the horses, and my dogs! It kills heart worms, ticks, fleas, and internal worms as well!! Wonder drug in my opinion.
wink.png
It will kill mites, and I am most certain it will kill lice as well. You can put a drop on the back of their necks, between the wings as well, kinda like you put Frontline on a dog. Treating with Sevin Dust works too.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom