Feather plucking gone wild

ChickenMama18

Songster
10 Years
Aug 31, 2009
Nor Cal
We have four buffs, one americauna and one bantum. The americauna has always been picked on. At first it was blood, and we'd seperate, heal and then reintroduce. Recently it was feather plucking so we removed her completely. Now, the buffs are getting feather plucked...except the plucker. I couldn't tell them apart so I used some blue cote to mark the "evil" one. I've been watching and she's the one plucking from the others (except the bantum). One buff's whole bottom is bare poor thing. So, I thought I'd seperate the mean one and try americauna back with the flock but no...the other buff's are plucking from americauna even without the mean one. Americauna is just the low bird on the pole. So I seperated americauna again and put the plucker back with the flock. Anyway...what can I do to discourage this feather plucking? I initially tried putting pine tar on but the plucking continued. They are laying eggs so I don't think they are too stressed out, but who knows? They are about six months old. Thank you so much!

Could you tell us about your set-up? How big is your coop and run? What kind of feed are you feeding?

They might be bored, hanging a cabbage on a rope from the ceiling might help. It will give them something to do. An anti-picking device might help, too.

How big are their accommodations? Are they getting plenty of protein?

I might try to put various things in there to keep them "busy", in addition to those questions. A head of cabbage hanging down from the ceiling or attached to a piece of wood with a screw, that type of thing.

I hate to say it, but if their accommodations are big enough and they are getting plenty of protein, you may just have to remove the EE completely or rehome her, if they continue picking in her constantly. Some pecking orders are normal, but generally it stops after a while.

I forgot to say, are you sure the bare bum is a plucking problem and not mites? Be sure to check for those, if you haven't already. Bare red bum automatically makes me think mites. Better to check and be safe, if you haven't already.

Their run area is about four feet by 20. Right now they get to free range on the weekends until it's light later in the day. They probably could have more protien, what they get now they get from eating worms while free ranging. I'm ok with the weaker bird being seperate for now but my frustration is that the plucker is attacking everyone else. I didn't see any mites on her or the other birds. In addition both the bantum and plucker are fine feather wise. I like the idea of the cabbage. I have been trying to put more scraps out there to "keep them busy" but the cabbage thing would last a lot longer I think. Sigh, I'd really hate to have to rehome the plucker. We recently had one die (we think she was egg bound) and the kids were really disappointed. If that is our only option I guess we'll do what we need to. Any other thoughts?

Ohhh! So she picks on everyone? Then yeah, I'd rehome her quicker than I would the pluckee. It may be neccesary for the happiness of the rest of the birds.

My sister had this same issue, she has one with a bare bum and one with a naked head! They have access to the outside and a nice coop but we thought that they got bored being in the coop in the few really cold snaps we've had and resorted to plucking. My flock and hers were staying in their coops, even with the pop door open, because it was too cold/windy/snowy on more than a few days. Your hens may be doing the same.

It was her Faverolle was was being plucked on her head and I think a Barred Rock with the bare bum. Interestingly, her lead hen died (
sad.png
) and now that Faverolle has taken to mounting one of her Australorps. I'm thinking she's climbing the ranks.

How long did you take out the aggressor? If you leave her out long enough, a new pecking order will be established and when you reintroduce her, she will come in as the lowest on the totem pole. Definitely try some distractions. I've heard of some people hanging pie tins or old CDs on fishing wire as a toy. It seems chickens like a little bling-bling!
roll.png

I never thought about hanging toys...like CD's. But, if you think about it, that totally makes sense with their addiction to everything shiny. Awesome ideas. I'm going to also segregate the plucker too for about a week and see what happens. Thanks everyone!

Back
Top Bottom