Feather Recovery After Mites

Keelieawn

In the Brooder
Oct 23, 2022
My 1+ yr old Orpington/silkie hen has feathers that are broken and damaged looking. I suspect this might have been from when I had a mite/lice infestation back in April and had to treat all 4 of my girls. She doesn't appear to have any mites or lice now but I was wondering a couple of things:
  1. When should I expect her feathers to start recovering?
  2. Is it common for feathers to take damage like this with mites/lice?
  3. Is there anything I can do to possibly help support healthy feather growth?
A couple of my other girls had started molting within the last month but, to be honest, I can't quite say for certain if she has started yet. I know for a FACT my little silkie has, but I haven't noticed much in the way of evidence for her specifically. I started chicken-keeping about this time last year so I'm still pretty new and learning.

Things to note: She appears, happy, healthy, is laying, and has good energy.

Broken and damaged feathers will remain so until a bird goes through a molt to replace them.

Feathers can get broken and damaged for a number of reasons a few are mites/lice, mating, plucking or just general wear and tear.

For hens in molt, you can give a little extra protein a couple of times a week to help give them a boost if they seem to be struggling.

If she's happy, healthy, active, with good energy and is laying eggs - she sounds fine to me. Enjoy her:)

most likely its just the time of the year .. generally mites arnt in season and feathers are falling out .. i got feathers all over the place out there right now lol .. if youre thinking something else might be going on, isolate the bird .. i have a special cage made up for just that purpose, its covered with its own feeder and waterer right next to the coop so its not out of the social loop so to speak .. put it in there for a week and see if it starts looking better ..

Back
Top Bottom