Feed for Ducklings

Elmcnam

Songster
Apr 23, 2018
Colorado
I find the feed choices for duckings extremely confusing! I hear so many different recommendations online. We live in an area that I can get waterfowl and game bird feed. I’ve only found duck starter one place, and the protein percentages are making my head spin. The one duck starter was 20%, most chick start is 18%, and then the waterfowl feed I found was also 18%. I thought they we’re supposed to decrease to 16% gradually? It says to feed after 8 weeks, which I’m just at 2weeks. I’ve been sticking with chick start and a niacin and vitamin supplement so far. I’m sure there are other threads on this, just wish there was some consistency. Checking out Storey’s Guide for Ducks soon. Pictures are from first week.

Attachments

• 68A3FD40-140F-4688-B072-4D269E9F2B7B.jpeg
    68A3FD40-140F-4688-B072-4D269E9F2B7B.jpeg
    508.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 3C809425-CB8E-43C0-9322-DD674713FD17.jpeg
    3C809425-CB8E-43C0-9322-DD674713FD17.jpeg
    576.5 KB · Views: 9
I wouldn’t be so concerned, but one of my ducklings is stargazing. Hoping I’m doing this right.
I had to look up stargazing and realized it is wry neck. This is usually caused by a vitamin E deficiency. It is easy to add the vitamin in, since it is found in herbs. The herbs also contain other nutrients that help as well. Here is a good article on treating wry neck. It includes the list of herbs.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/wry-neck-causes-treatment-and-prevention.67732/

There are a lot of options for feed for ducklings that will work. I usually just use chick feed and add brewer's yeast to increase the naicin level. The naicin level is usually what most people worry about.

I don't drop my protein concentration any more. I use to, but I found my ducks feather quality drop when I started to use feeds with lower protein levels. They also really need that high protein level to grow feathers. There are lots of people who never drop the protein concentration. Some people use even higher protein levels, but they tend to breed for food. Most of the recommendation for lowering protein concentration revolves around angle wing, which there really is no definitive answer on what causes it.

Yes, also called wry neck. I’ve added niacin, brewers yeast, and vitamin/electrolytes to water. I feed my stargazing duck separate while feeding. The other ducks don’t trample her when she’s in the brooder because she likes to hang out under the heat plate. Unfortunately, that means she doesn’t eat and drink enough, unless we hand feed and drink. The others are all fine🤷‍♀️ just wondering if maybe some magic feed would be the cure, or if the protein could be to high/low. She hardly walks.

I also find the feed confusing because there seems to be many different opinions on switching to grown waterfowl/layer feed. Some say two weeks, some say eight, some say even older. No one opinion/fact. Very weird, compared with chickens, which I never worried much over. I gave them everything

With wry neck, some are just born that way. Adding the herbs with the extra vitamins is the main thing that will correct the issue.

The duckling feed is definitely confusing. The reality is it doesn't matter too much as long they have the naicin they need, which you do. A lot of people swear you have to drop the protein level or they will get angel wing, but angel wing is more complicated than that. Depending on how you drop the protein, it can also be problematic. A lot of people recommend oats to cut down protein. Unfortunately cutting it down with oats could cause issues, because you can make them eat a certain amount of oats to feed. Some may pick out the oats, to eat just them and end up with other nutritional deficiencies. I can fully understand how it can be confusing. There is a lot of conflicting information and a lot of wives tales that are still held as facts.

Back
Top Bottom