Feed holder

RebelFord81

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Aug 7, 2023
Windham, Ohio
Has anyone used these for your flock? Metal cans around here are nearly impossible to find or astronomically priced when you do it's a little nutty. My feeds in a plastic tote for now but we all know that's not gonna last when a mouse sets their mind to cheap plastic. My coops fort knox secure but those a holes are pretty determined come winter.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230821_104431_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20230821_104431_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 73
Has anyone used these for your flock? Metal cans around here are nearly impossible to find or astronomically priced when you do it's a little nutty. My feeds in a plastic tote for now but we all know that's not gonna last when a mouse sets their mind to cheap plastic. My coops fort knox secure but those a holes are pretty determined come winter.
I had dog food in one like that, in my garage. Rats chewed right through it. Pay the price now for metal, or keep replacing the plastic as they are chewed up, it will be just about the same.

I have 2 to store feed and scratch. No problems so far and I’ve been using them for well over a year. Squirrels tried getting in but gave up before breaking through.

We have a vittles vault that stores feed. It's in our garage and works great. I will say that we don't have rodents in our garage, so the vault has never been tested. It is a thicker plastic and not like a standard bin/tote plastic.

I didn't try a vault because I thought steel barrels were a much better value.

There are 55 gallon steel drums for sale for $10-$15 near you. Look for burn barrels.

I don't know how big your flock is. If the flock is small, I would put a platform in a barrel to keep the bag/pail of feed in the upper part and use the lower part to store other things.

Find a local painter or cabinet shop that finishes their cabinets and ask if they have steel paint buckets to give away. The recycle companies don't like them, they bounce around in the shreader and have paint residue. Most is lacquer, turns to dust or a fragile cake icing like stuff once exposed to air long enough. The binder in the stuff tends to crackle if it dries too thick, AKA crackle paint. In a few weeks you can bang the side of the bucket and the dried paint falls off and is safe to dispose of in the garbage once dry.

Use a plastic bag if you are worried about residue in the feed. Most buckets have tabs that can be bent down with a hammer or with your hand to secure the lid from most critters.

I have to give the buckets away on Craigs list once or twice a year to get rid of them. People use them for feed buckets, excavating soil under houses, or as fish structures in ponds.

Back
Top Bottom