Feed Nutritional Issues.

Poultry_Mom1300

In the Brooder
Jul 9, 2020
I use a duck and chicken feed brand called 'Scratch and Peck Feeds'. On its website it says the grower feed (which my ducks are on- they are 6 weeks old now) has sufficient niacin levels; but when I looked on a separate site (that was not scratch and peck's website) it said it did not have sufficient niacin levels, and I need to supplement with vitamins. On a side note, I might be allergic or reactive to brewers yeast which is why I am switching to pure niacin or a variation of that (rooster booster poultry booster). What should I do about the niacin levels of the feed? Also, I want my ducks to be fully organic and have fully organic eggs- which is why chose scratch and peck... Should I just keep using the feed the way it is or should I supplement anything? I am confused.

Last edited:
What was the other source indicating there niacin content was low, because it might be outdated. It was low, but in the year of 2015, they upped the niacin content to 27mg per pound(60 ppm) which should suffice for most breeds, but for heavyweight breeds, I'd be inclined to add a niacin source since they require around 70(ppm).

So my question is, what breeds are you raising?

I've read several sources that indicate heavyweight needs only need around 55mg of niacin per kilo. From what we've seen the past few months, this is still low for heavyweight breeds, so I like to use this source here which recommends around 70mg per kilo for heavyweight breeds. *Most* feeds are probably not going to achieve this, unless you're using a meat bird crumble, so it may just be best to add a 500mg plain niacin capsules in with 10/15 gallons of water until they are around ten weeks when their niacin requirement drops down more.

1595940274220.png

http://avianmedicine.net/wp/

I am raising Indian Runners. So are you saying that I should use 500 mg human niacin capsuls that you can buy on amazon for the runners (they are a lightweight breed).

I am raising Indian Runners. So are you saying that I should use 500 mg human niacin capsuls that you can buy on amazon for the runners (they are a lightweight breed).

You're raising Indian Runners, so given the niacin content of the feed, they shouldn't need any supplementation, but if you want to be precautious you could give them plain 500mg niacin every week or so.

The other niacin source is some sort of poultry vet site that compares feeds.

Duck DVM by chance?

What was the other source indicating there niacin content was low, because it might be outdated. It was low, but in the year of 2015, they upped the niacin content to 27mg per pound(60 ppm) which should suffice for most breeds, but for heavyweight breeds, I'd be inclined to add a niacin source since they require around 70(ppm).

So my question is, what breeds are you raising?

I've read several sources that indicate heavyweight needs only need around 55mg of niacin per kilo. From what we've seen the past few months, this is still low for heavyweight breeds, so I like to use this source here which recommends around 70mg per kilo for heavyweight breeds. *Most* feeds are probably not going to achieve this, unless you're using a meat bird crumble, so it may just be best to add a 500mg plain niacin capsules in with 10/15 gallons of water until they are around ten weeks when their niacin requirement drops down more.

View attachment 2265471

http://avianmedicine.net/wp/
Question....Can they have too much niacin?

You're raising Indian Runners, so given the niacin content of the feed, they shouldn't need any supplementation, but if you want to be precautious you could give them plain 500mg niacin every week or so.

Our understanding is that thru water, they need 55 mg a day of niacin... not trusting the feeds niacin content or the stated niacin content(in the feed).
We also have a secondary source that says human niacin causes tumors in waterfowl... what do you think?

Our understanding is that thru water, they need 55 mg a day of niacin... not trusting the feeds niacin content or the stated niacin content(in the feed).
We also have a secondary source that says human niacin causes tumors in waterfowl... what do you think?
What’s the difference between human niacin and the niacin put in the feeds?

Back
Top Bottom